We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

We are bringing our 18yo daughter to the Orlando area to attend water ski school near Groveland, and I'd like to ask for help choosing a hotel.

We'd like to be near shopping, restaurants, etc., but still be within easy driving distance to the school. She will only be at the school for half days, so we'd like to be close to things to do, and not be out of the way. Does that make sense?

We don't need 4star; we are happy with Hampton Inn type hotels, but a nice pool would be good.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Well,

I'm not familiar with that area at all, but there might be an altamonte springs board perhaps?

Anyway, clermont, ocoee and altamonte springs are your nearest areas and AS should have the most choice for your needs. See if there is an hampton inn or something there. I know they have lots of shops and restaurants there.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Thanks for your reply; I'll check it out!

Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

One good thing about these boards is that I learn more about this area when I look things up for visitors. I didn't know there was a water ski school out in Groveland... lol

So I looked it up, mapped it out and here's my suggestion.

You 1st have to decide which is more important, being close to the school or being close to everything else. If you choose, I suggest you look for hotels in the town of "Clermont" this area is growing rapidly and new hotels are being added at all times. You have plenty to choose from food wise also. Depending on the shopping you want, Clermont has your Target, WalMart...etc.

A trip into Orlando and or Disney is doable.

The quickest way into Orlando would be the Turnpike(TOLL ROAD) and the quickest way to Disney would be US27 Which runs right down the middle of Clermont.

Mentioned in this post
Clermont
Clermont
Lake County, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Thanks so much for your reply!

Her ski lessons will only be half days, leaving the late afternoon and evening for other things.

I think we will stay closer to Orlando for evening activities (restaurants, outlet shopping, etc.) and drive back and forth to the ski school.

I will try to find something in Orlando close to the turnpike.

Would IDrive be a good choice? There seems to be so much there for shopping and dining.

Again, thanks very much for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

I see a Hilton Garden Inn at that exit,(exit #75 off of I-4) As a local I don't stay at the hotels so my suggestion would be to find the names then read the reviews.

This is also the exit for Universal Studios so you would have City Walk right at your disposal also.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Florida
31,970 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hilton Orlando
Hilton Orlando
5,579 Reviews
Orlando, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Julie,

I would highly advise against Idrive if you have car transport. It is busy, tacky and a bit seedy IMHO.

Look in Clermont or LBV even. Or better yet, Winter garden or altimonte. You just really don't want to go to ID unless you must.

Mentioned in this post
Clermont
Clermont
Lake County, FL
Galway Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

HI,

I am just back from orlando and stayed in Davenport this time.

We do not drive ourselves but had family with us and we were near 1--4.

We stayed in a place called Bahama-bay resort it was fantastic beautiful grounds,a beach effect looking over lake Davenport with pools and hot spa, for anyone with own transport it is only a drive to shopping malls etc.

Last year we stayed in the Sheraton Vistana resort in LBV, another beautiful place.

I booked direct with owner this year.

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk property number 58669,home away from home but better.

Mentioned in this post
Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas- Lake Buena Vista
Sheraton Vistana Resort...
7,058 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Davenport
Davenport
Central Florida, FL
Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Julieandbob,

Groveland is seriously in the middle of nowhere.

You might be best advised to look at the western end of Highway 192 in Kissimmee as close as possible to US 27. It's still a hike to school but it is much closer to ther rest of Central Florida than the rest of the suggestions.

Call the school and see what they suggest.

CTR

Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Thank you all very much. I appreciate all the help. The choices for Orlando are overwhelming.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with a non-Disney trip to Orlando

Though there are some hotels there, Altamonte Springs is nowhere near Groveland, if its the Groveland west of Clermont we're talking about. At least its not nearer than any number of other places.

There's some stuff in the Clermont area around Hwy 50, though not exactly Disney busy, and not sure about the hotel situation there (if you haven't already check the Clermont page on TA). I would go with CTR's idea.

Mentioned in this post
Altamonte Springs
Altamonte Springs
Central Florida, FL
Clermont
Clermont
Lake County, FL