We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect repellent

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
671 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Insect repellent

Travelling with three children (4,10,15) in May this year. Will we need any insect repellent or the plug in repellents for our rooms?

Also, just wanted to add that we paid off the holiday today which means its really real! Hurrah! 12 weeks and 6 days to go!

Thanks in advance for any replies

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
468 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
183 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
126 reviews
from US$112.99*
US$118.99
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
12 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
leeds
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect repellent

manda, never had a problem with insects, but if concerneed a normal,I think its a moistourising cream from avon does an excellent job...and its not as expesive as some repellants you can buy.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,790 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect repellent

It depends on where you are staying as to whether you'll need a mosquito repellent.

Some resorts are located near lakes or large ponds that could be a problem. Many places spray for mosquitos, but some don't.

I'd have some spray or lotion with repellent in it just in case. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect repellent

The product is called "Skin so Soft" and is available in stores.

leeds
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect repellent

keywest, thanks for that, I thought thats what it was called but was not sure..I know of a lot of people who swear by it.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
671 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insect repellent

Many thanks for your replies - I will take some with me - as you say better to have it and not need it than the other way round!

Is it a particular skin so soft or are the whole range the same?

Thanks

hollywood birmingham
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insect repellent

just get some citronella oil (about 99p) and mix it with a bit of moisturiser or baby lotion.

I have 2 children 10 and 4 and we have been going for years and have never used repellent or anything in the room (where ever we go elsewhere in the world i always carry them).

I always carry a bottle of lavender as well for cuts bruises and bites, but have only used it on the plane coming home to help me sleep for a few hours.

Chris

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insect repellent

You'll not need anything in the room -- but by May, the mosquitoes and no-see-ums could be out in force outside.

It's the original scent Skin So Soft, by the way -- and it works for noseeums brilliantly, but leaves a lot to be desired for mosquitoes.

You'll also be able to buy insect repellant locally -- and at 2 to 1, it will be much cheaper to buy it here. Any mainstream retailer -- even petrol stations -- will carry repellant, including some formulated for your little one.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Insect repellent

I didn't know it came in flavors but it's an opaque bottle with blue print. Also, keep in mind....

Medical fact:

Mosquitos are attracted to:

beer drinkers

those with high cholesterol

those who perspire

those who fidget and move outside (motion)

Also mossies and noseeums are most active at just before sunset when the air and surface temp equalize. Also, mosquitos very rarely go higher than 15 feet off the ground, so a second story venue may be helpful.

Dr. Taxi

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insect repellent

I found a product called "OFF Skintastic" Which worked fine for us. It contained DEET.

leeds
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Insect repellent

go on then whats DEET..