We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Hello-tentatively planning a trip to DW for late August.

Our current plan is to stay in Kissimme August 11-14, visiting the park(s)on the 12th & 13th. Heading over to Daytona Beach the 14th-16th, back to Kissimme the 17th until the 23rd. The frame of mind behind that manuver is to 1) break up the park visits and 2)avoid the parks on the weekend.

It has been 8 years since our last visit and the passes have me a bit confused. Am I correct in understanding that our park passes will be good for 14 days from the first use? For example, if I buy 8 or 9 day passes, go the 11th for the first time, they won't expire until the 25th? (at which time I will be back in the "unhappiest" place on earth, aka Illinois)

Secondly, the difference between straight passes and adding a hopper and the water parks is $400 for the 4 of us. We "hopped" last time because it was included but do you think we could get away with not hopping? If I visit the Magic Kingdom in the morning, go to the hotel for a rest, and then go back to the Magic Kingdom, is that considered hopping?

Am I also correct in saying that if we don't purchase the waterpark option it will cost us $71 a head to get in to one of those? If so, I think I will add that option for sure.

Sorry for the world's longest question but truly appreciate any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,016 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Sorry, forgot to also ask-are passes discounted for purchasing ahead of time or is it the same price once you arrive?

Would also like to apologize for spelling "advice" as "advise" in my subject heading as well as mispelling Kissimmee-twice! I hate typos but it's late and I've been doing travel research ALL DAY!

Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

No a break during the day and returning to the same park is not hopping. It is cheaper to buy your tickets in advance.

undercovertourist.com

mapleleaftickets.com

If you area member of AAA they do discounted tickets as well.

Don`t worry about the question and if you have others just ask.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

The tickets expire 14 days from the first day of use so from the 11th you would have till the 24th if you count your days right.

You can go back to same park if you leave mid day.

It will cost you around $40 give or take the tax amount for the water park. It's only worth buying the option if you plan to go to the water parks more than one day. Disney Quest and Pleasure Island is also included in the water park option.

You can get good discounts on undercovertourist.com for tickets. They have free regular shipping also. We got ours in about 12 days (to Nova Scotia).

You can always just buy the base ticket and then after you get there and think you'd like to hop you can always add the park hopper option to you tickets, I think it's $45. per ticket regardless of the amount of days. You can add this at any time, just go to a ticket booth and have it added. Same with the water park option although that is about $50. extra.

Mentioned in this post
DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park
DisneyQuest Indoor...
1,113 Reviews
Orlando, FL
IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Hello Library,

I don't recommend park hopping, simply purchase the base ticket and enjoy a park a day instead of wasting time hopping from park to park,(which by the way takes awhile) you could be enjoying an attraction in the park you in. You'll not only save time and energy but a little money too by not park hopping! Have a great trip!

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Having spent more time in the parks than most over the 80 trips we have taken to Orlando ,my advice would be ,if you can purchase a ticket similar to the 14 day ultimate ticket that we can purchase here in the UK then Hopping is the best bet by a mile.

It gives you the opportunity to spend time in the evenings returning to see fireworks,have a meal or just return to your favourite bits.

Parks like AK close early so you could the pop over to Epcot for the best fireworks of all the parks.

And of course it gives you unlimited access to the waterparks.

So that would be my advice if the tickets are available to you.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,390 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Ok, that leads me to another question. If we add on the waterpark option, if we visit a waterpark I assume that counts for our park for the day, meaning we're basically out of luck for the evening?

The only reason I'm considering the hopper is because we wouldn't necessarily hop from one park to the next but it may be nice to hit a park early, go back to the hotel, and then go somewhere different in the evening, as the previous poster mentioned, but not sure I want to pay $200 additional for the flexibility.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

With the hopper option you can go to a waterpark in the day anD still visit a park in the evening ,just get your hand stamped as you leave the WP.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

The Park Hopper is not THAT much more expensive for the flexibility it gives you. For example, a common day might be an early day at AK, have a nice rest, then have dinner and see the fireworks in MK. Just for the ability to go someplace different to eat is worth it to me..

As to the water park option, depends on the cost. Split over 7 days, if you use the Disney Quest and/or PI options plus one water park visit its not a bad deal.

Overall, if budget allows I get as many options as possible, just to allow myself to be flexible on the ground...

Mentioned in this post
DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park
DisneyQuest Indoor...
1,113 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Librarychick, the water park has no bearing on whether you can go to one of the main parks. If you add on the waterpark option you could go to the water park in the morning and stay till mid afternoon then go to one of the four main parks later in the day and evening: Epcot, MK, AK, or Hollywood Studios (MGM). You would be using one of your water park options and one of your days on your ticket. You can use more than one waterpark option in a day but only go to one main park if you don't have a hopper.

Go to this site and you'll get some good info on tickets:

http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/ticket.htm

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,390 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To hop or not to hop? Advise needed on which passes to buy.

Ignore my previous, I didn't realize the difference was so much on a 2 day pass.. On the longer passes, the hopper option averages out much better.