We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Companies

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Companies

This has to be the most aggravating part of planning a trip. My husband found a decent quote from Sunshine Car Rental, but I'm hesitant about using them because they're not one of the "big names".

However.... using codes that don't work out of Mousesavers is annoying, and using the codes from BJ's and Sams don't come out to any kind of savings. I've tried Dollar, Alamo and National, using both these codes and without codes, and the prices come out the same. However, I don't see why the heck a car for 10 days should cost 300-400!!! It's just a car!!!

My husband is actually a Hertz Gold member, and they wanted almost 500 for an economy car. When he told them not to use the corporate rate, it came down 100. Now how messed up is that?!?!?

Needless to say... still researching... but thinking more of investing in really great sneakers! LOL

Lovely Midwest
Level Contributor
378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Companies

What dates are you looking for? Typically, we've found Alamo to be the cheapest in Orlando. If you use the Walmart codes listed on Mousesavers for Alamo, you will save a fortune, and you can use entertainment coupons or printable coupons on top of that corporate/rate code. We're renting a mid-size SUV for 6 days for $148 with tax.

As with anything, check the sites often..they prices change daily.

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Companies

now that's sweet... we're looking for an 11 am pickup on 5/15 and a return at 3:00 on 5/24 and we're looking at economy!!!!

I was reading my Mousesavers newsletter a few nights ago, and I think I must have deleted it. Spent an hour going through old emails and deleted emails looking for it. That's the trouble with work email accounts... smaller mailbox sizes!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,313 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Companies

Priceline is also excellent for car rentals-we are going next week and paid $22/day for a midsize from National via Priceline.

Northford...
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Companies

We are going for 9 days in May. I was going to use Sunshine but I'm leary as well when I saw an after hours(6 am) drop off charge of $20. Most were around $350 for nine days. Got lucky with Alamo and got an after rip-off tax charges of $212. Kept banging away with coupons and Walmart code, and got it down to $160 out the door. $18 a day is darn good. Google mousesavers for those codes and printable coupons. Good luck.. john from ct..

note: Walmart code got second driver for free as well..

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Companies

Go to www.southwest.com

Scroll down and near the bottom on the left-hand side, click on Rental Cars. They sometimes have really good deals and you do NOT have to book a flight with them. No codes necessary.

Another idea is the national chain Rent-A-Wreck.

Lovely Midwest
Level Contributor
378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Companies

I'm guessing the rate is high because you are renting over a holiday weekend (Memorial Day). The "extra time" because of the 4 hours is $100 (dropping it off at 3:00 rather than 11:00). I'd book through hotwire. They're showing excellent rates for this time (mid-size for $199 with tax and fees).

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Companies

Wow... Hotwire does seem to be a good way to go at $199. Yep.. I went and looked too! LOL

Does anyone have anything bad to say about working with Hotwire? I assume the companies they work with must all be on-site at the airport.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Companies

I too had luck with Pricline. Ended up with a mini van at $20.00 per day via Alamo. We are very happy!

California
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Companies

I always rent through carrentals.com

They are a fabulous site and use all the major carriers. They work as a "broker". You can see the prices for all the different car companies. the good news with them too is you can cancel at any time, even if you find a better rate THROUGH them! Just cancel and rebook.

10. Re: Car Rental Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 18:18