We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap (or free) things to do?

Toronto
11 posts
Save Topic
Cheap (or free) things to do?

My hubby & I are travelling to Orlando with our 8 month old baby. We aren't planning on doing any theme parks since our daughter is still too young to really appreciate Disney but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cheap or free things for us to do (with the baby of course).

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

Consider purchasing a book titled The Other Orlando by Kelly Monaghan. There is alot of information there. . .I'm not sure what you consider "cheap".

Also, there are lots of places to visit besides Disney, you know. Maybe a good time for Universal using baby swap on the rides. Save Disney for a few years from now. You might consider a water park as well since your baby will be free to enter and they have baby play areas that would be tons of fun for an 8 month old. Just use lots of sunscreen and hats and find a spot with shade.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

You could go to citywalk or downtown disney (you needn't have a park ticket to access the restaurants and shops)...could take a walk around LBV, Kissimmee or even a i-drive if you have a car.....could even take a look at wonderworks or ripleys believe it or not - i don't think neither would break the bank.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

Type in go-lists under search and you'll pull up several lists by locals and others suggesting places. EddieK did a great one in May 2006, called Orlando off the Tourist-Beaten Path.

My vote would be for Leu Gardens, Mount Dora, Loch Haven Park, Lake Eola.

Happy hunting!

newcastle upon tyne...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

old town kissimee great nightly bike and car shows free and entertainting

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
152 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

Drive to Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic Coast or St Petersburg/Clearwater on the Gulf for the ocean and time on the beach. The gulf has much calmer water normally. Visit Downtown Disney and shop, walk, and eat. Go to various Orlando and Kissimmee flea markets, go to Outlet Malls, visit Old Town in Kissimmee, spend time at the pool and enjoy the sun, tour a timeshare resort, drive to Tampa and see the sky bridge, etc. Yes...entertainment with a very young child might be an issue. You might want to think about spending 1 day at Disney at the Magic Kingdom just to "taste" the atmosphere, but this will cost both parents.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

Mt Dora and Cocoa Beach are good suggestions. I also enjoy the springs (both Wekiwa and Alexander). If you decide to go to the Kennedy Space Center, the Canaveral National Seashore is also nice. There used to be a five mile nature drive before you get all the way to the beach. DeSoto park in St Pete is very pretty, but you will need lots of sunscreen for the baby.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

Other people have mentioned Downtown Disney and Old Town Kissimmee.

I don't know if they mentioned the carousel, lego creations, and fountains in Downtown Disney that should be fun for your 8 month old to at least look at. (The fountains would probably be fun to play in too since they squirt up from the ground.) The stores have lots of huge Disney items that are fun too.

Old Town also has rides for about $1 each. (On the website they seem like old-fashioned county fair rides and maybe some coasters.) http://www.old-town.com/

You can also wander through the grounds of the Disney resorts. The atmosphere is interesting and they're all very different. You can often see animals from the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I like Disney Boardwalk too. Sometimes they have evening entertainment, but even just walking along the boardwalk when it's quiet is nice.

Have a great time!

Lily

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

A really great free thing to do is to go to Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. Park in the guest parking area (free), and ride an internal shuttle (free) to the campfire area, there is a nightly campfires and sing a long with Disney cast members and Chip and Dale are there every night (free). This starts around 6 or 6:30 depending on the season you are there. After the sing a long they show an outsoor disney movie, there are campfires set up and you can buy fixings for smores. There is also a petting zoo down at the settlement bus stop and you can watch the electric water parade from the beach every night (around 9:30).

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,990 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

If this type of thing rings your bell, visit Leu Gardens. It's free on Monday Mornings (9-12) only. Otherwise its $7.

Visit Winter Park (Park Avenue). No special reason - it's just a very nice suburb. Sit in the park and watch the squirrels. If you're lucky (as I was recently) you may see a Hawk eating one!

Ditto Winter Garden (not the same place at all); there is a walking/horseriding/cycling trail you can walk along. Or (not "free") locally hire cycles and ride it.

You can also ride WDW's transport free. Boat ride from DownTown Disney to Port Orleans is nice; the monorail between Epcot and the Transportation Center; other boats in the Magic Kingdom area. Park at DownTown Disney (its free here).

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,184 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap (or free) things to do?

If you would like to see the fireworks from Magic Kingdom one evening without having to buy a ticket,

simply drive to the Polynesian resort hotel where you can get free parking for about 3 hours while visiting the resort, walk out back to the beach area, and watch the fireworks from there.