We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US vacation time

tcc
crawley, west sussex
Level Contributor
551 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
US vacation time

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering why there seems to be alot of US folk only going to Orlando for a week? Is that because you don't get much holiday time? I know from relatives in Detroit they get only 10 days a year, whilst most Brits get between 20 - 25 days a year (I get 28).

Maybe it's a money thing? I guess Orlando for us seems cheapish compared to what you guys have to pay out of your wages?

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
470 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from US$168.99*
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,661 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US vacation time

You hit the mark!!

Most companies in the U.S. are not near as generous with "paid time off" as those in the U.K. Also, many companies in the U.S. require you to "combine" your sick leave with your vacation time and so you have to "bank" days for potential sickness during the year.

At my company, we used to have a very stingy "time off" program, but we merged with another company who had a generous policy, and so we now have much more than we used to.

I personally now get 33 days per year now, but as stated, I have to "bank" some of that time for potential sickness for myself or family. However, this much time off per year is very much the exception in the U.S. Most folks get two weeks typically, three weeks max for the entire year.

tcc
crawley, west sussex
Level Contributor
551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US vacation time

Thanks Kat, that's insane! I didn't realise you have to bank days for when your sick! We get sick days paid on top of our holiday entitlement, I think it's something like 15 days a year and then it's up to the Manager whether they continue paying for any extra sick days!

B'ham
Level Contributor
233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US vacation time

-Thats terrible Kat when do parents spend time with their kids ? who looks after them in school hols?

I'm lucky I work in school but my hubby takes 99% of his holiday (Annual Leave in uk)at same time as the childrens holidays so he has a little time at easter with them, summer an xmas too !

Perhaps US children have less school holidays than us in uk its about 14 wks .

perhaps us brits need to be more thankful for our annual leave !

Mastic Beach, New...
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US vacation time

Like Cat said, most US companies make you work for a very long time before you get more than 2 weeks paid vacation a year. My company gives one week by the end of your first year, two weeks after 18 months, then you have to work there 10 years before getting a third week. After 20 years, you get 4 weeks. Everyone gets the same 5 sick days a year. My husband's job is a little more generous. He gets 5 weeks paid vacation a year, but unfortunately, his boss gives him major grief when he tries to use it. (Oh, to be so important! LOL)

For that reason, if we want more than a long weekend, we'll usually try to book travel between two weekends in order to extend the time away. When we visited Ireland and England, we used two weeks at once because there was a lot we wanted to see and we didn't know if we'd get to visit again. I think, too, there's a sense that visiting in our own country, we've got a better chance at getting back sometime.

As for the question about what do we do with our children? Well, the same thing we do during the rest of the year. Most kids in the US go to school 180 days of the year. Kids are usually on their own if they're old enough to stay alone, or the parents pay for babysitters, day care centers, & afterschool programs. None of them is cheap either. I'm lucky in that my children are grown, but when I hear what people today pay for daycare, it just boggles my mind. All too often, it sounds like they're working just to pay for that.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US vacation time

My dad got 3-5 weeks holiday a year over all. This was in the us in the 60s-80s. but only because he worked for the US govt for many years, most got much less.

most who started work from my year at university got 1 week paid holiday plus possibly some sick time per year. each year you stayed with a comapny you got more.

2 weeks paid holiday in general (plus bank holidays which I think are less but not sure) per year was standard if you took short and long time employees combined.

So, increased holiday entitlement and free medical treatment at least to a basic standard is why Europeans pay more for eating/drinking/genereal cost of living etc. As compared to when they get to FL.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US vacation time

I get 3 weeks a year but I never take it all at once, it's really hard to catch back up at work if I'm gone for more than a week. I couldn't imagine a 2-3 week holiday with the kids- we'd go broke and strangle one another...hahaha..I usually like to get about 5 days in Vegas with just me and my husband as well. My children have a 3 month summer vacation so we have to have someone else care for them in the summer anyways.

Haydock, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: US vacation time

Some of us don't get any paid holidays or sick days as we are self employed

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US vacation time

I don't know how all the working US Moms deal with the US school holidays these days. 3 months off (which was standard when I was young and now) is a long time, yet I remember it as a child fondly. It must be a nightmare now.

The only thing I can say is everyone wasn't trying to have their same family holiday in the same week so it might be cheaper/ as per accomdation and transport? In the UK, everyone has the same limited time frame to have their holidays (6 weeks max in summer- ours has 5 weeks)- that includes all families and all teachers.

When I was young, most mothers in the US didn't work as a percentage. but even then there were free/low cost school holiday programs for fun in the summer but for limited hours I think. We all did them together- rich and poor alike. But all that depended on which state, and which county you lived in as those things were based on what the school system could afford (ie council tax in the UK).

In my state now, the state lottery pays for a lot of the school funding.

those of you who live in the US at the moment-and FL inparticular.

How are your schools paid for? By property tax? By state income tax? By the lottery?

Mastic Beach, New...
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US vacation time

((In my state now, the state lottery pays for a lot of the school funding.

those of you who live in the US at the moment-and FL inparticular.

How are your schools paid for? By property tax? By state income tax? By the lottery?))

In NY state the lottery money is supposed to go to education. However, whatever lottery monies go to education, the state takes out of its budget and puts to something else, so you're not really getting that much extra benefit from it. Some of the state income tax goes to it, too, but here on Long Island the school money comes out of our property taxes.

orlando
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: US vacation time

In Florida the lottery money is used the same way as Slix described it. Also,a certain percentage of county property taxes collected from property owners goes towards education.