We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When does the restaurant bill arrive?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When does the restaurant bill arrive?

On another forum, there is discussion on the appropriate length of time one stays at a table after a meal. Live entertainment, bar atmosphere, and recognizing a restaurant's business is to sell food, not provide long term seating were all brought up.

An interesting post said that in the UK one tends to ask for the check (bill) as opposed to the USA's custom of delivering the check after a final visit from the waiter with "Is there anything else I can bring you?"

Would you feel comfortable staying at a table a long time or do you feel like you are being rushed out at sit-down restaurants at the parks?

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

I don't feel we've ever been "rushed"... but knowing the high demand for reservations for these restaurants, lingering excessively at your table will only hurt those guests waiting for their tables. Personally, I'd be ticked if I were on time for my reservation and had to wait around for no reasonable reason.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

Most bars with entertainment have cover charges or minimums for drink orders to stay and sit.

Hanging around in restaurants after a meal not only penalizes those waiting for tables, the server won't be very happy either as you are keeping them from potential tips from customers they may miss out on if you don't leave in a reasonable time.

I hate having to look for the server to ask for the check, I appreciate it if they are prompt in bringing it so we may be on our way when we are done eating.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

keywestaxi i agree I tend to get this feeling in the Rain forest cafe at DTD, though i love the place its not long after you have taken your last mouthfull and said no to anything else that you start having the table cleared with a distinct feeling of times up

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

The North End is a popular place to have dinner in Boston. The advice I give posters is to have coffee and dessert seperately from the place having dinner.

I always like to walk around a little after dinner. Then go to a place which pretty much only serves desserts and coffee. This way I am not tying up a table.

orlando
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

Thanks for the tip Eileen...DH and I will be in Boston in August.

North Scituate...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

Hey Boston Tom,

I love visiting Mike's on Hanover Street. mmmm

:)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

Hi NirOrlando:

The place to have dessert in The North End is next to Mike's. The Cafe Victoria is really good. Then either go to Mike's or Modern pastry to get something for later.

orlando
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

Thanks, Eileen :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

NirOrlando:

You are welcome. Put a post up on Boston a few weeks before arriving. There are many willing to help. Keyword north end and all the good places will pop up.

La Summa and Mama Maria's are a few of The favorites.

orlando
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: When does the restaurant bill arrive?

Will do, Eileen...it's been 22 years since I lived in Boston and I know there's been many changes! :)