We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mears cab drivers milking tourist

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MILWAUKEE, WI.
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mears cab drivers milking tourist

Did anyone have the feeling that the Mears drivers were taking long congested routes for higher fares? Coming back from Universal we would take a taxi. The cab would go down International Dr that would take forever. I noticed the buses take a different route that runs parallel to I-4 freeway & took about 10 mins to get where we needed to go.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
349 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

You have to be careful with cabs here. I have taken them home from the airport and they will take you way out of your way. I tell them I live here and the still don't listen. Now when coming home from the airport I ask what route they will take before getting in.

It got so bad at one point they were ever reporting on it on the local news.

If at all possible ask your hotel the best route and tell the driver to go that way.

liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

This is such a shame we have noticed over the past few years that Taxis have started taking the mick, we now ask a price before every journey and haggle a price as they can vary by huge amounts

which puts people off taking taxis they need to learn tourists will not be ripped off

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

Mears is a huge company and has a parent company. If you call and voice your complaint, I am sure they will compensate you and fix the problem. It is best to voice your concern as the ride is happening. These things tend to become embelished.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

We also got ripped off twice this trip. The first was at the Premium Outlet. We caught our taxi at the exit opposite the food court. A man was standing there on his podium thingy. We were charged $22 to International Plaza near Seaworld. The next time a lady cab who drove a disco bus charged us $13. It was a very scary ride though cos she had this toddler size doll thing in the back which sung and moved. It actually looked like a leprechaun (Sp Sorry). I have a phobia about dolls n clowns. Read my forthcoming Trip Report for a more detailed version.

Next rip off was from Seaworld to Walmart. $20 on way there $10 on return.

Unofrtunately we lost this ladys cell no so couldnt use her again but she took a much shorter trip that the other two times we went to Premium.

Caz Essex

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

Getting into a disco bus is poor judgement. The scary ride would be the result of her being a gypsy cab. The unlawful cabs will charge next to nothing.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

It was at the Premium outlet. The bloke standing on his podium beckoned her over so i thought it was all ok. The other cabs were yellow , think it might have been a checker cab. Didnt even stop to think that she might not be legal. We just assumed they were ok.

Caz Essex

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

In a case like that where someone is directing you to a cab, you do not have to take that cab. Usually at airports there will be an offical putting people in cabs. Make sure the driver speaks english and knows where he is going. You can also ask the person in charge what the rate will be.

I meant poor judgement on the bloke letting her get in the cab line.

Marshall, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

Is it easy to tell which ones are gyspey cabs, and which aren't? Any scary stories about them? Other than the one above.;)

~JS

9. Re: Mears cab drivers milking tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 15:18