We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

Maine
Level Contributor
378 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

My husband and I will be spending just one day and night in Orlando. We have been to Magic Kingdom and Epcot years ago when our daughters were young. We did love Epcot so we are wondering if we should go there again or try Universal Studios. We do enjoy some of the rides that are more like experiences rather than roller coaster types. We are also thinking of going to CityWalk in the evening and having dinner there. Restaurant suggestions? We are staying at Gaylord Palms and not sure of the distance to each. I think they provide transportation to either resort. We will also have a car if needed. What do you suggest? Thanks!

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

Definetly Universal Studios for 2 adults from the Gaylord it is kind of a distance from Universal but the easiest way to get there is when you exit out go through the light continue straight until you get to the intersection go across make a left and at the light make a right and that will put you on I-drive straight to Universal

USA
Level Contributor
293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

When the sister and I went to Epcot we did a quick run-through of future world (starting mid-afternoon) before going on to World Showcase. We had a great time shopping, dining and drinking in World Showcase. We even saw the fireworks (Illuminations) which was a real treat. We went back to our Disney resort after that making the night a bit short.

Re: food. We have only eaten at the Morocco restaurant. There are a variety of choices- perhaps others can share their experience. Morocco was a great way to wind down as it was relatively sedate.

The sister and I have also spent a fair number of evenings at City Walk. The park itself was fun if a short visit. I guess I have reached saturation point with Universal, though I enjoyed MIB, Jimmy, Shrek, ET, Mummy and Jaws. I also like the resort area for its evening party-like atmosphere. After dinner there are places to drink, listen to music, dance, so on and so forth. The night definitely lasts longer. In terms of food, we have eaten at Bubba Gump, Hard Rock and Margaritaville. Both fine and both fun. Emeril's is on my to try list. You have a number of other food choices for you to enjoy- Pat O'Brien's and Latin Quarter sound fun. Inquire about a party pass if interested in doing the club thing.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

They are two very different experiences. Epcot is slower paced, more relaxed, less crowded, and has changed over the years so there is a lot to see. Universal has two sides: the studios, which has the experience kind of rides you mentioned, and they are okay, and islands of adventure, which has lots of great wild rides, good theming throughout. One is more of a wild exciting whirlwind of an experience, one is a more relaxed, yet still quite stimulating and interesting and fun place.

Both have good dining options, and Epcot has Illuminations (firework/laser show) every night.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

I think either choice is great. At universal you can get a 1 day 2 park pass for $75 and you can easily walk from one park to the other.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

Epcot is about 6 miles form Gaylord Palms and Universal is about 12 miles.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

Hello fellow Mainiac.

This of course is simply my opinion but if your not into the thrill rides I would do Epcot. Universal IOA would have been my pick if you wanted to do some coasters but Epcot has some good "experience" rides.

If you had just been to Epcot I would say try a new experience but you said it has been years. I would definatley plan to stay to watch Illuminations especially if you have not seen it before. I would not depend on your resorts shuttle since you will have a car anyway, I would use it, then you can come and go when you please.

As for wanting to go to CityWalk to eat you could still do that (free parking after 6pm) but I would just stay at or around Epcot. From Epcot it is a very short walk to the Disney Boardwalk and a few of the Disney resorts. You could walk out of Epcot for dinner and then walk back in in time for Illuminations.

I'm not sure when you are going but if it is soon Epcot is having there flower festival and it is pretty neat to see some of the topiarys and all the flowers. There are also nightly concerts during the flower festival.

Again this is just my opinion but when I think Universal I think rides when I think Epcot I think displays and experiences.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

Are you more into rides alone, or more into experiences?

My personal favorite would be Epcot. It has some great rides, including Soarin (my favorite), plus the great experiences of World Showcase and Illuminations.

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

i would try out universal simply because you have already been to epcot. universal studios has mostly experiences like you said you liked. only 1 real coaster, but it is so filled with special effects and themeing it is an experience as well. islands of adventure has a few rollercoasters, but many other rides too. poseidon's fury is an experience type attraction which includes a walk through water vortex. an added bonus is that if you pick universal, you can go to both parks in one day for only $85 per person.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
379 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

Universal is cheaper, but then, the memories at Epcot-it's your Madeleine.Go for it.The park changed a bit over the years,so you might even be surprised.I believe that is less then 6 miles from the Gaylord as I've read in a previous post,but either way,if you can avoid the highway-you'll save time.Make sure you make dinner reservations.Le Cellier is their flagship restaurant.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Epcot or Universal for 2 adults?

I would recommend Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. You can do them both in one day and get reasonabley priced tickets that allow you entry to both for one day. Disney is geared up for families with smaller children, whilst Universal is geared for teenagers and adults. The Twister and Poseidon's Fury are fun experience rides.

Regarding Citywalk, I have only eaten in the NBA restaurant, but I have to say that I was really impressed. The service, food and drinks were very good for a theme park based restaurant. If you like seafood and the movie Forrest Gump then Bubba Gumps is a fun place too (have eaten in other locations in Fort Lauderdale and Miami)