We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

I dont normally take my kids out of school for trips but it will be my daughters 4th b-day and have planned one night at Great Wolf Lodge. My one girl i will pick her up right after Kindergarten lets out and my teenager will pick her up so it will be a half day and the whole next day she will be out from school which isnt too bad. What is a good thing to say in a letter about her being absent. She gets great grades, has great attendance so this wont be a problem, just looking for the best way to let them know she will be out.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

Tell the truth, you have a family event.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

I've taken my kids out for vacations before, and I always told the truth. They've always had excused absences. If you think it will be frowned upon just tell them it's personal family business. There is really no need to elaborate. :O)

Northeast PA
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

I agree don't elaborate, I just tell them my children won't be in school for xxx to xxx and that's it.

pa
Level Contributor
53,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

I also agree, just be honest about it :)

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

You are all lucky you are in the USA, here in England our schools have changed things. All absence now, such as for holidays, is logged as "unauthorised absence" and parents have been sent letters saying that if they take their kids out of school, they may have to attend meetings, etc - including involving social services possibly - these are the people who can take your children away from you if deemed necessary! So it's all being taken very seriously. I wouldn't dare take my kids out of school nowadays!

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

It's not that liberal everywhere in the states.Here you can only get an excused absense with a doctors note.And if you miss 12 days ,you fail the grade.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,996 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

It's pretty strict here too. When Liz went to dance at the Olympics in Sydney we had to jump through all sorts of hoops. I ended up having to go before the school board! That was for 10 days of Jr. High though. I would think a 1 1/2 days shouldn't be a problem.

Jennifer

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

happy0007- your school must have a problem with attendance then. The DfES guidelines state that parents are allowed to take children out of school for one occasion during a school year. It can be no longer than 14days. However it is at the discresion of the school and depends on individual attendance records.

My school has agreed that my kids can miss 12 days of school to go on holiday to florida Family time is important to our family as we have two children with additional needs. Its not always possible to take holidays during school holidays.

You can be fined £100 per a parent per a child. Even with 3 kids a total fine for us would be £600 (If imposed) but I saved £2000 by going out of school holidays.

Children learn when on a holiday like florida, especially at Epcot. Last year my son did a fantastic presentation at show & tell about how space shuttles fly..it was so good he was asked to do it again during assembley for the whole school.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

Yes Travelbug we have similar rules - as long as you fill in a form asking for time off then its usually classed as authorised which is the same as sick days when you have rung and followed up with a letter - unauthorised abscences ie when no permission has been asked for is the only time the school will ask questions and perhaps involve outside agencies - usually only if regular abscences from the child would it go so far as to involve social services

Ginger 9708 just tell them that you would like the days due to family and work commitments which is the truth - no excuse needed

Northeast PA
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OT - excuse for taking kid out of school for 1 1/2 days??

I'm probable the worst offender here, I take my kids out of school as much as 3 times a year for a week each time and what a school "tells" you they are going to do and what they "Can" do are two completely different things.

1. If they tell you your child will fail because they missed X number of days during the year, ask them what section of the STATE LAW, states that. There is none in most States. The issuse is that they lose money for that student from the State and Federal goverment if a student isn't in school X number of days a year.

2. In the US, reporter to Children & Youth, Youth Services or what ever the name is in your state are covered from any civil actions for their reporting of suspected cases of abuse or neglect, taking your child out of school for a vacation IS NOT abuse nor neglect of the child, and they would not fall under the Good Faith Reporting Act, openning the reporter and the school district up to a lawsuit.

3. If you do this (I'm not saying it's right)but if you get a Doctor to write a note saying your child was sick for a week, under the Federal H.I.P.P.A. Laws the school district can't even ask what the illness was.