We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it really worth booking it all yourself?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
is it really worth booking it all yourself?

Ive been looking at the price o private villas and car rental and it seems to me that it probably isnt worth booking all your holiday separately.The villas are costing around the same and the car hire looks like it cound be more by the time you add the full insurance package on it.my freind has booked up for september and it has cost her 2900 for the 3 of them, in a platinum villa with a durango and flights, not that cheap to me, if all you are saving is a few hundred pounds

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

I book all my vacations myself it gives me time to look for the cheapest but still nice place to find the best price for my budget.

uk
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

The advantage of doing it all separately and independently is that you have absolute control over everything you book.A lot of the cars included in packages do not have all the insurances I believe .The savings however small is money towards something else.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

Just book your car hire through somewhere like avis.co.uk or dollar.co.uk, so your insurance is included in the quoted rate.

As to whether it's worth booking it all yourself, yes it is, but only if either:

1) None of the 'packages' suit your needs.

or

2) It works out cheaper.

With the internet making it easy to book it all yourself, go round the various websites and work out the cost. If it's cheaper, then you've got your answer ;-)

For Florida, we tend to book a 'package' with Virgin Holidays. For all our other USA holidays, we book it all ourselves for the flexibility.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

Without a doubt it is cheaper to do it yourself and you get a better class of trip if you are careful.Obviously your ' not worth it if all you are saving is a few hundred pounds ' means you have plenty of money!.

To save even £10 I would book independently. It only takes minutes and I have yet to find a car hire deal that was anywhere near as dear as the 'package' deals.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

We tend to book package holidays to florida.

At the minute i'm planning a multi centre trip (LA, Vegas & NYC) and its working out sooo much cheaper than a package. But when i ever try to do florida all separate i can never get it cheaper than what i'm offered by a travel agent....i think to be honest i'm too picky and not really flexible...if you're not bothered where you want to stay or when you want to go i'm sure you can get some right bargains....

Lincolnshire, UK
Level Contributor
811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

If i only saved a few hundred pounds i would be well happy.. to me any saving is better than none.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

Granted I am doing this from the States and not UK, but I have just finished all the booking for a June 8 day Orlando trip. All booked sepparatly by me. Between car, hotel and flight I saved about $800 over any of the packages I found. AND I got a better class of hotel, 4 diamond on con.level and a non-stop flight. If you have the time it really does pay to hunt for the discounts and do it all yourself.

london
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

by booking seperate, i saved £400 odd on what the travel agent quoted, plus i have pool heat for the 2 weeks (travel agent that would have been on top so that's another couple of hundred there too) i know where my villa is, its address, what the pool faces etc.

i habe found it so much nicer speaking to the owner of the villa on the phone, rather than a TA just wanting commission.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

I think it is, when booking airflights I tried to put hotel for 15 nights on top of that , and thought I had got a really good deal, but of course I wanted to check out the hotel myself and heer on the TA, and surprice, surprice for 15 nights on that hotelpackage it was 200 pr night , but found out that it actually was a Inn to 60 a night.

So Yes I think You at least check it out.

Last holiday in the sun we saved 3000 dollars , when booking ourself.

Mutter

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it really worth booking it all yourself?

By booking independantly I have saved £800 this year and made a similar saving last year, so it is no contest as far as I am concerned.