We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
265 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

Okay . . . we are officially going to be traveling to disney. Here is our next problem. We have the dining plan. the basic one with one counter service, one snack, and one sit down meal.

We don't know where to go. Can you guys help us out? We are planning to do MGM,AK,MK,EPCOT. (in that order.

We love Japenese, Mexican, Seafood, and American Food.

Any good nominations? Were should we dine? Do we need to dine in each park, or would you recommend dining at another resort? We are staying at a ALL STAR MUSIC Value.

We don't have the park hopper, but we are considering. I just wonder is it too much trouble to come out of the park, go eat, and then come back to the park? I would probably want to change clothes if I am hot and sweaty, so include a stop to the room to freshen up too. Would this be better or would it be better just to find somewhere to eat in each park?

pa
Level Contributor
53,817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

Well Done :)

You can eat at any Restaurant at any Park or Resort

For a list of all the Dining Plan Restaurants

www.allears.net/pl/packages08a.htm

Our Top Picks

Kona Cafe @ Polynesian

Boma @ Animal Kingdom Lodge

Coral Reef @ Epcot

Mama Melrose @ Disney's Hollywood Studios

Cape May Cafe @ Beach Club

Fulton's @ Downtown Disney

Keep in mind that your Table Service Meal doesn't have to be Dinner ( altho you get the most for your $ that way )

Have a look at the Park hours for the days you will be there and you can plan a few reservations based on that. Depending on the time of year, you don't have to have reservations for every meal planned out in advance :)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

Hi Yellaboy - Can you tell me if you are traveling with children? If so, what are their ages.

All Stars only has counter service which would work well for breakfast. We usually plan out which days we will spend in which park and make reservations for a restaurant in that park.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

I'd consider adding on the park hopper if budget allows. It will greatly add to your dining options for a fairly limited cost. For example, MANY of the most popular and best dining is in Epcot, and you would be eliminating them from consideration any day you didn't go there.

Generally speaking, assume 30-40 mins each way park to resort, so a freshen up trip can cost you up to 2 hours, so plan accordingly.

As a general plan, we go with full park days, back to room, then a late dinner.. Seems to work well for us most nights.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

My favorite Table Services-

EPCOT- Coral Reef, Le Cellier, Chefs de France

MGM- Brown Derby

Wilderness Lodge- Whispering canyon

Poly- Kona

Character Meals-

1900 Park Faire at the GF- Supercalifagilistic breakfast

Ohanaat the Poly- Lilo and Stitch breakfast

Crystal Palace at MK- Winnie the pooh lunch/dinner

Askerhaus Princess Dinner in Norway at EPCOT

Quick Service-

AK- Flame Tree BBQ

EPCOT- japanese Quick Service, The food court in the land

MK- Cosmic Rays

HS- Pizza Planet

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

Hi,

We stayed at all star sports and had the dining plan last year. We loved the resort and the plan worked well for us.

We did a few 8am breakfasts in the parks. That way you are already in there and fed when they let the crowd through the gates several hundred yards behind you. You also get some good photo opps on the way in when the park is empty.

We like to eat at the following table service places (but we do have fussy eaters and tend to go for buffets......and I am a big kid, who likes character meals) ;)

Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary (for breakfast and dinner)

Crystal Palace at MK (with characters for breakfast and dinner)

Hollywood and Vine in studios for breakfast and fantasmic dinner package.

Sci-Fi dine-in at Studios

Ohana breakfast at Polynesian

Le Cellier at Epcot (we ditch the kids for this one)

Donald's breakfast at AK

Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney.

For counter service (fast food) we like:

Sunshine Seasons in the land pavilion at Epcot,

Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills at MK

Wolfgang Puck Express at Downtown Disney

Cantina de San Angel in Mexico in Epcot

You can really get your moneysworth at some of the Epcot restaurants. We plan to ditch the kids and go to more of the Epcot restaurants on our next visit.

We went when the food and wine festival was on and you could use your snack credits for all of the sample platters in Epcot. We tried buffalo and New Zealand lamb chops, lobster and all kinds of stuff using the snack credits.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

We usually do full park days, beginning about 7:00-8:00 with breakfast and don't return to the resort until after the park closes.

I agree, it's a lot of time to travel back & forth (if you leave for a meal and then return). I feel like I'm wasting "valuable vacation time".

We will have the basic plan this summer too.

For Mexican: San Angel Inn at Epcot has a really neat atmosphere. You go inside....but it looks like you're outside on the street in Mexico at night. Food is mediocre. The mexico section has a good counter service mexican place too.

Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom is good. It is a buffet with everything ! At dinner, they have prime rib & shrimp with tons of sides. Even a short buffet for kids with all their typical favorites. Pooh, Piglet, Eyore, & Tigger are there every day.

For a good Character Breakfast (considered table service on the plan) is Chef Mickey's. It is in the Contemporary Resort. Can begin your day with breakfast there and then go on to Magic Kingdom. It is also buffet. Eggs, bacon, waffles, fruit, sausage, potatoes, etc. Mickey, Goofy, Chip & Dale are there.

Inside Animal Kingdom is the Donald Duck Breakfast at Tusker House. Also a buffet - our favorite breakfast. If you get early reservations , you're done eating & already inside the park before it officially opens. You can already be standing in line while everyone else is still arriving. Nice. Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Mickey, & someone else.

At Hollywood Studios, our favorites for the "experience" is the 50's Prime Time and the Sci Fi Dine In. At the Sci Fi, you go inside, but looks like you are outside at an old drive in movie theatre. You sit inside cars (made into booths) and watch old Sci Fi movies while you eat.It's dark, stars in the sky & everything. Kids meal comes in a glow in the dark frisbie for your plate. The food again, is mediocre but very cool.

The Prime Time is meatloaf, chicken, green beans, etc. The seating areas are little old kitchens from the 50's. Some have counters & refrigerators. The waiters/waitresses are your "uncle bob" or someone. They tell you to take off your hat, keep your elbows off the table, etc. You have to finish your vegetables before you can have dessert. I went to the restroom....the waiter scraped my sons green beans onto my plate.....when I got back they'd ordered dessert & I still had to eat those beans ! The kids were given the dishes & had to set the table last time. Fun Fun.

Mama Melroses is Italian and very good. We also love the HOllywood Brown Derby. Also good food. Both at the Hollywood studios.

Look at the Allers.net website. The dining section has good reviews, photos, and even their menus.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

For sheer visual quality, we will always choose California Grill for one of our "big" meals. This is an expensive evening, but going out on the terrace overlooking the magic Kingdom fireworks diaplay then returning to find our dessert waiting for us is great.

That said, if you have kids, this may not be such a good suggestion. They should love doing a character meal almost anywhere.

For an unusual buffet try the Akershuse in the Norway section of Epcot. Why eat what you can find at home? Be adventerous and try something new.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
265 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

I am Kid-FREE. It will be just me and my wifey.

Do they have like a restraunt that is kinda like RED LOBSTER anywhere? A Good sit-down seafood restraunt.

Same for Mexican, and Japense? We will want to sit down and eat main meal (dinner) all three, and probably somewhere that serves good American food also. We would like to eat one of each night as our main course meal.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

Coral Reef in EPCOT is seafood, nice views of the big fish tank also. Reviews on here are not great but we enjoyed it.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Dining Plan - - Please help - - -

The Teppanyaki restaurant in Epcot was excellent, and the Mexican restaurant is generally well regarded. Those are the only two places I know of with those styles of cooking, so the lack of park hopping might be limiting.

For seafood, there are many choices, Coral Reef in Epcot, and the one at the Boardwalk that escapes me.

But please, do not define Red Lobster as 'good' seafood.. It's average on its best days :)