We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash or traveller cheques?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cash or traveller cheques?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding cash whilst on holiday.

We usually take a small amount of cash for when we arrive and the majority of our money in travellers cheques - we usually stay on International Drive so going to the bank to cash the cheques is no problem, however this time we are staying at Disney - (Fort Wilderness Cabins) - so having to go back and forth to the bank will be more of a hassle. I know hotels will usually change small amounts of cash but just wnated advice on what other people do when staying on site.

Thank You

Sharon

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
914 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

If you get travellers cheques in US dollars they can be used like cash and therefore there is no need to go to the bank.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

I agree, travellers cheques are as good as cash, and are widely accepted.

We always take a couple hundred bucks in cash to cover incidentals/tolls etc.

I'd recommend stipulating denominations of US Dollar cheques though. Last time we ordered them, they tried to give us 40 x $100's, which are great for shopping at Mall of Millenia, but not so great for a nice cheesecake or Krispy Kreme doughnut. lol!

New York
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

Hi-What we started doing, was putting our spending $ into a checking account-then having a Visa Debit card just for that "vacation account" It eliminates from carrying cash around, and avoids the inconvenience of cashing travelers checks. When we go out to eat, or buy things, we use that card.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

My advise would be to tell your Travelers Cheque supplier No checks over $50. Most will give changes for the small amounts. But dont expect to buy a 2$ item with a $100 TC Get them in US dollars so you can use them like cash.

Do Not take Sterling or Euros travelers checks few if any will touch them and banks might want 3 days to change them, plus they will charge you a commission. . Most business, but not all will accept them.

Here ar some exceptions;

Golden Coral wont accept travelers checks. Their till will also not accept Credit cards and debit cards from UK banks.

Walmart stores will only take American express TC. but not the American express credit card.

The filling station attached to the walmart store on 535 will not accept any TC but will take American express cards.

Lots of places wont take debit cards.

Some that do have problems with them as they require a Pin Number and the US tills have not got round to pin Nos yet , or not very widely.

So you could have problems with cards which you top with cash to use when you get there like is one explained above. Only to find there plenty of credit in it but you cannot get to it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

Take a couple of hundred dollars cash and then use a pre-paid card. We used the Lloyds TSB one (lloydstsb.com/travel/travel_money_card.asp) and have never had it turned down ANYWHERE!!

Once you've loaded the card it's valid for 2 yeas (so handy if you planning to go again next year) with the added advantage that you can "load" the card when the exchange rate is good...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

I do half anf Half TCs and cash.

Those prepaid cards mentionned come with a number of charges, esp if you get out cash.

If you get Amex TCs they will be taken pretty much anywhere (except the places mentionned above which I don't go to anyway).

amex tcs available at M&S and crwon curency among other places.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

amanx made a good point about the PrePaid cards. I think the charge for withdrawing cash at an ATM was £2.50 which is pretty excessive.

That's we took the $200 in cash though, and because we used the card to pay for almost everything we came back with $90 cash.

The first year we went we took TC's and to be honest we found the Pre-Pay card much more convienient.

Another advantage of the Pre-Pay cards is for Taxi's. On our first visit taxi drivers refused our TC's, however, they always accept the pre-paid card. Basically, the pre-paid card is Visa card, so anywhere that accepts VISA (pretty much everywhere in the US) accept the pre-paid card.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

forgot to say, other than the charge for the ATM withdrawls I don't think there are any other charges??

greater manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

best cards abroad are nationwide's debit and credit cards - no charges per transaction and full exchange rates given!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cash or traveller cheques?

Blue, there is a charge to get the card (£5-£20) and some have charges to load it, plus a currency conversion charge.

then there are the charges to take the money out a ATMs (virtually all atms). Plus some merchants charge on top.

With all these you are far worse off than cash or TCs. (if you buy commission free which is easy these days)

The only exception is a nationwide debit card.