We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"help with a flying 4 year old"

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"help with a flying 4 year old"

Please give me your ideas for keeping a 4 year old occupied for 9 hours above the atlantic ?

england
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

My 4 year old daughter was no problem on her first flight to orlando.

She has done shorter flights before and I was well prepared for a longer flight armed with books/crayons/playing cards etc. Plenty of sweeties to suck and water to drink.

She spent a lot of the time just watching the movies. Do you have seatback screens on your flight?

Think she had a little nap and also the air stewards did supply plenty of drinks/eats throughout flight.

It was a good experience and a lady in front of us actually said how good she had been.

Darling daughter got a gold star that day.

Now taking her on holiday - hair straghtners, gels, make up, the right clothes blah blah blah (teenager) can be a nightmare.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

thanks littlefpc,so just take a wide selection of things to keep her busy and stop her getting bored.

england
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

Yep. Think long car journey but with excitement of seeing Mickey at the end of it.

I am sure you will be fine.

Wigan
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

We were sat near a family of 3 young kids on our flight to Orlando 3 weeks ago and as you can imagine i was a little aprehensive.

The kids were absolutley brilliant, they watched the movies, played their DS's and had the meals etc. The kids were not much older than about 6 and they were a credit to their parents.

Shame the same couldn't be said for a spoilt little ***** that screamed for most of the last 2 hours of the flight both ways. I felt sorry for the kid until i walked to the toilet and saw the kid was about 9 or 10.

If the kid had been mine i would have taken them to the toilet and given them a damn good hiding :-)

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

We did the same things as mentioned above. Movies, gameboy game, and some Dollar Tree items (little toys, games, coloring books ect . . .) that he didn't see until the plane ride and we took them out one by one and they were brand new to him, and treats/snacks.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,313 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

Along with the excellent suggestions posted,make sure to bring lots of snacks and buy some beverages once you clear security.the airline may not be serving what your child wants when they are hungry or thirsty. And bring their favorite comfort object from home-besides you of course-teddy bear,pillow,blanket.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

thanks people,just what i needed to khow

Lincolnshire, UK
Level Contributor
811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

We take a DS each for our kids, their favorite cuddly toy and those Crayola Colour Magic pens that only work on the paper that they come with... bit more expensive (£5.49 per pack) than normal colouring books but you get no mess..

Then i let them choose a comic each from WH Smiths in the departure area, plus a few of their favorite snacks and they are happy.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
542 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

Hi, I bought this sticker pack from the £ shop at the metro center for our trip in March. It had dolphins and whales and a book to stick them all in. It was the best £ I have ever spent, it kept her entertained for hours.

Also agree with the snacks and drinks. The time passes so quickly but do not worry if your child has a "moment" it is a long time for them to sit and we should not expect too much of them. Have a great time. EvieCee.

B'ham
Level Contributor
233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "help with a flying 4 year old"

sorry I had to lol when i read your title-

I'm relieved your flying with a 4 yr old and not having trouble with a flying 4 yr old - wow quite a skill i thought !!!!!( just keeping myself amused - no offence intended )