We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo vs. Hotel

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
8 posts
Save Topic
Condo vs. Hotel

I am not sure why anyone would want to stay in a hotel around Disney when you can get a great condo for about the same price as a hotel. We went to disney last summer and I found a great condo for $100 per night - 7 night stay. If you are looking for a place to stay, check out Windsor Hills Condos. I can't guarantee you will find the price above currently, but it seemed like there was a great deal of competition for guests last year. And with gas prices the way they are now, I would think it would be even better this year to find a great deal. $100 per night - can't beat that. The condo was nearly new and it was a very comfortable 3 bedroom / 2 bath unit. The best part was the pool though, it was huge and perfect for small children and also had its own waterslide. And the condo is located about a mile from the Disney parks. Just Google Windsor Hills Disney and you should find it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

I guess the reason I shy away from a condo is I do not want to look at a kitchen when I am on vacation! One of the things I look forward to while vacationing is eating out, not cooking and not doing dishes.

New York
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

We usually rent timeshares-Grande Vista etc. We find it best of both worlds-it has a kitchen, but the only thing that gets cooked in it, is a morning bagel-cooking on vacation would be the last thing on my list! It is nice having a fridge for beverages and snacks..It also gives us 2 bedroomes and 2 bathrooms. Cooking on vacation? No way!

pa
Level Contributor
53,725 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

Being on Holiday means

No Cooking

No Cleaning

No Car

I have a Big House the Rest of The Year, when I'm on Vacation, I enjoy Resort living and I'm willing to pay for it :)

New York
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

I couldn't agree more!!!!

oklahoma
Level Contributor
329 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

We have never been to disney before but are planning for next year. I have looked at Windsor Hills and they look very nice. I agree with you when we go on vacation we would much rather stay at a condo. I like the kids having their own room and us having ours. I also like having a kitchen. We don't really cook, but will make easy stuff just so we don't have to get the kids all ready for dinner every night. But we have never stayed at Disney before and was wondering if their it is easier to stay on site. With the transportation is it easier? And do the kids really enjoy the themes of the hotels better. My kids are 6 and 8 and love condos on vacation.

pa
Level Contributor
53,725 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

We find it much easier to stay on-site. Transportation is free

All the Resorts are well Themed

Pools and Recreation are great

Food Courts are handy ( refillable Mugs are Great )

Extra Magic Hours are wonderful

Lots of Families to Chat with and relax with

Lots of Kids for your Kids to play with

Disney Experience 24 hours a day

It's even a better if you can get a Deal :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

you have the right idea partypa!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

Okay, I'm going to be both contrary and hypocritical here.

We have been die hard on-site fans since 1989. Last Easter I booked 2 nights at Pop Century and the rest of the trip in an off-site condo. My two night stay at Pop cost almost $300. Our condo was just a hair over $100/night.

At Pop Century I had the advantages of:

A smallish room

an overcrowded and unpredictable bus service

Limited dining options at premium prices

A noisy, over-crowded resort where the facilities were overwhelmed when at full capacity.

Extremely poor sound proofing

At our condo (w/rental car, the cost of which was more than compensated by the less expensive nightly rate of the condo) we had:

Over 1000 square feet

Our own car, available at our convenience with a guaranteed seat and a guarantee of no grubby fellow passengers. To be perfectly fair I have to say that I loathe the Disney busses.

A washer/dryer

A kitchen where I had the OPTION of preparing meals or not. Many times we much preferred eating in the relaxed atmosphere of the condo (no ADRs needed) to dining out. It was also far healthier and more economical and, as I said, an OPTION. The mere existance of a kitchen doesn't mean you have to cook a gourmet meal in it. You can dine Disney whether you're staying on-site or off.

Two full bathrooms one of which had a marvelous Jacuzzi tub.

A much less crowded and more relaxing pool area.

And, I know this may not apply to everyone, a second room where I could escape hubby's TV sports obsession.

All of that said, I've booked on-site for my Labor Day trip with the kids! Like I said contrary and hypocritical! That's just me.

Jennifer

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

I've stayed at both condos and hotels. It depends on how long I'm going for and who I'm going with. Both have their ups and downs. I see no need to rent a condo when I only have 2 people and I'm staying for 3 nights and I want to be ON Disney property. However, when my family goes down, stays for a week, has a car, etc, YES a condo makes more sense...

England
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo vs. Hotel

For me it would have to be decided by how long I was going to be staying.

Most of you in the US are traveling down and staying from 3 nights to a max of a week. I totally agree that staying in house on a Disney resort hotel would be ideal, as you will ony have packing for a short duration and also the cost would be fairly cheap.

For folks like me who don't travel down 2 or 3 times a year but fly over from the UK on our annual holiday, we would find 3 weeks in a hotel far too cramped ........ I don't think I would like to be in the same room as 3 others for that long.

Also the cost of 3 weeks in a Disney hotel is waaaaaaaaaaay too much even with a deal especially when you have to tag on $2000 of flight prices.

And a hoiday without a car ......... in Orlando .......???

I like to think I know a bit about the surrounding area, with its wildlife and other non theme park attractions, I love the different restaurants at sensible prices, I love to go to the coasts and paddle a bit.

Windsor Hills is an ideal base and you will love there.

Happy holiday's