We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

BC, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

Am I crazy to think this can be done with 3 kids and still have a relaxing vacation (or as relaxing as it can be in Disney).

We did 10 days in Disney last year and have decided to return after much debate. We wanted to do Mexico for 2 weeks but figure the kids will get too bored. So we have 2 weeks and will probably only do Disney for 4 or 5 days. We are going to rent a villa again at Reunion Resort and I was thinking we could also spend 5 nights and rent a villa at the WaterColor resort in the Seaside/Fort Walton Beach area. I understand the drive is 6 hours and I wanted to do it at the beginning of our trip to get the drive out of the way.

Do you think this can be done with everyone remaining sane?

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

bump

Tampa FL
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

Well Mom, you've set the parameters. Six hour drive is about right, but that is straight through without stops for food or fuel.

You know your kids better than anyone here. Whaddaya think?

Joe

Tampa FL

Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

My question is why go so far for a beach? You could stay closer and go to the beach and save yourself alot of dive time!! Plas I'd go to Disney first so the kids are a little worn out and will enjoy the relaxing part of the beach. Would be a good way to end a wonderful vacation!

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

Mom-on-on-amission,

I have never been to Fort Walton beach and I am sure the beaches are wonderful, but Sarasota is two hours away and the beaches there are exquisite. I think you will find everything you are looking for in Fort Walton a whole lot closer at one of the Gulf Coast beaches that include Siesta Key, Lido Key, Longboat Key, Bradenton, St Pete and Clearwater.

If you do elect to go to the Sarasota area, there are other activities for kids that will help keep the kids from being bored.

CTR

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

The beaches at Fort Walton are stunning, no doubt.

But I'm squarely behind CTR here -- there just isn't any reason to drive that far (and 6 hours is straight through, with minimum time for liquid management) when there are beaches that are just as gorgeous much, much closer.

How about Fort DeSoto Beach? TripAdvisor has just listed it as the #1 beach in the country -- and it's well deserved.

And only 2 hours from Orlando if you take your time.

6. Re: Driving from Orlando to Fort Walton Beach Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 08:20