We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

From local 6 website:

www.local6.com/news/16672835/detail.html

Just a reminder how important it is to stay vigilant when onn your holidays.

World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

I agree....you should never drop your guard just because you're on your jollys...not for one minute saying its exactly what this lady did - it seems she was in the wrong place at the wrong time....

I feel i'm repeating myself yet again but this just shows it DOES happen everywhere...

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

That's crazy you have to watch yourself and bring the cash with you that's why I don't bring the cards for the ATM and if we use a card it's for dinner cash all the time and don't bring it all out with you be careful.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

that is mess up if the atm was in the lobby wasn't someone at the front desk and was the security guards it make you think that you are not safe anywhere you need to be street smart on vacation don't flash alot of money around i'm glad she didn't get hurt or the kids i hope they the person who did it thank you jajd123 for sharing this

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

I know it says she was a tourist but thats not to say she isn't from the US....i'm saying this because i too would take my cash card to say London - i wouldn't travel to london on train with a ton of cash in my pocket...i too would use the cash point when i got there....

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

i have just returned from this hotel today, its hard to beleive. i'm from the uk and i use atms because i get a better exchange rate on my nw card, usually the hotel ones, i'm more wary elsewhere because of the crowds. the hotel enviroment does feel very safe although i have to say i don't remember any security guys around. its difficult to deal with this if you are being targeted, its just happens so quickly.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

Everyone should be wary about who is around when taking money from ATMs anywhere. It doesn't just happen on vacation, we see in our press here on a daily basis, instences where such robberies have taken place.

I use my ATM card all the time in the US & always try and use it when there aren't too many people hovering & with family close by.

Most of the big stores like Walmart etc will also give Cashback just like the stores here.

Sorry this had to happen to this woman on her hols though.

Retti

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

I would never use a cash card at a stand alone machine. Banks and major hotel lobbies, supermarkets are the best. You know when there are several people in line and security and cameras are in play. Flashing cash, no matter where it came from, is a real bad idea.

Camas, Wa
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

Yikes. I agree with pretty much everything the previous posters have said. When I'm by myself, I definately try to go to market or into a bank to get cash out. Another reason to be wary no matter where you are!

9. Re: Tourist robbed in Disney area hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 08:22