We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OH
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Insurance?

I always buy trip insurance when I cruise because I have a child with asthma/allergies and living in the north there is always a chance that weather will delay your flight. If we miss the ship it's leaving without us and the the thought of being in another country and needing medical help makes it easy to justify the travel insurance cost. However, I am having a difficult time trying to decide to buy it for our Disney package. I know that I would not purchase it from Disney as I can get it cheaper and more coverage with the company I use for cruise insurance so I had it removed when I booked my package. This is the first time I have bought a Disney package with dining. I usually do the room only and buy my park tickets seperate which makes it easier to cancel if needed. How hard is it to get back the $ paid to Disney for your package if you had to cancel? Am I understanding the cancellation policy correct? I can cancel the day of and only be out $200? I am not worried about medical as we are in the US and if our flights are delayed we may miss a night but those losses would not be worth paying for insurance.

Does anyone have any experience cancelling a Disney package they could share with me? I'm leaning toward not getting the insurance and need a little assurance that this would be a good choice. Thanks.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance?

If you are traveling on a direct flight, and your medical insurance is whole-country (most are), you are probably okay without the trip insurance (although I buy it).

Disney is pretty good about cancellations, especially if you can document the reason. Worst case, they will usually offer to re-book at a future date. In that scenario, you would be stuck with the airfare, so it might depend on the cost for that.

If you are flying direct, lost baggage coverage is a lesser issue as well.

If you have a connecting flight, I might consider it for trip delay/lost baggage coverage, if you get stuck in transit, you will be liable for first night at Disney at a minimum.

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance?

I think it depends on what time of year you are coming. If you're coming end of July through September, it may be a great idea. It's hurricane season and I'm sure in 2005, many people wished that they had taken out travel insurance. I'd never book a cruise without it that's for sure! Travel insurance doesn't cost that much. Especially compared to what you could loose without it.

Monterrey
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance?

last week, the call center operator told me

"you are mexican, you cant buy a insuranse" and cancel my insuranse.

but the curious data are last december we cancel and rebooked our trip, and the call center operator says "if you move your date you loose the money that you paid for the insurance" and lost $250 usd.

so i will write a email to explain that and i hope they back my money.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance?

I would never consider travelling anywhere without travel insurance, for example if you died there is massive cost to fly your body home which will fall to your family, this happened someone I know and they had to pay 20K USD to fly the body home... aside from that cancellations, lost baggage, very important...

5. Re: Travel Insurance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 02:17