We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

May seem like a silly question, but for a family of 4 (in a 2 bed condo) i need to double up on everything this year - otherwise they'll be fights over the toothpaste and shower gel etc.

Just read, on another thread that toiletries are so much cheaper there - is that correct? Do all the brits head straight to the supermarkets and buy all their toiletries?

Its not just the price over here, its the weight in the suitcases?

What do majority of people do?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

Providing you are not too restricted in what you use certainly i would recomend you take the minimal amount of toietries.... having said that we took big bottles of paul smith hair products only to find them so much cheaper and therfore bought stacks home with us!,,walgreens is the place... you can get everything... by the way if you plan to take straightners you need dual voltage... first year our daughter was "really" concerned about her hair - her very expensive GHDs wouldnt work... bad hair holiday because she wouldnt have a pair of cheaper ones from walgreens... sad for her !anyway she bought dual voltage ones... on saying that it depends when you are going- because the humidity ruins any styling-in general!

Hope you have a fab holiday...

BY the way particularly buy over there sun screen...mind you i think it jumps from 15 to 30.. there is no in between... someone will correct me if i am wrong...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

thanks x

have already bought some bits, so i wont buy anymore!

I've read about the straighteners!!!! Thats a major concern for me and my daughter, even though we both intend to wear our hair up for the entire holiday (still need to straigthen the front), cant stand my hair down in hot climates, just makes me irritatable! Have read on here previously, that the new Mk 4 GHD's work ok though, my daughter has those, so we may have to share for a fortnight !

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

We go out the first evening when we get there and buy everything from Kmart or Walmart...much cheaper and anything that's left over can just be disgarded :o)

Glasgow
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

So glad i read this. Off later today and had packed the GHDs. Will rething and pick up a pair over there. Buy toiletries there as usual.

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

We only take a few things and then get the rest at Wallgreens after we have arrived at our accomodation.

London
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

Not anymore - they always seem to explode in my suitcase :-(

london
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

We always buy toiletries in Florida, my favourite place to buy shower gel is Bath and Bodyworks (in most Malls). I try different flavours each time but my most favourite is cherry blossom or Pineapple. They do body lotion to match and shampoo, etc.

Try their hand soaps too, I am currently using the pineapple one and everyone who comes to my house says they absolutely love it!

If you use Nioxin shampoo, it costs £19 for a 200 ml bottle here and $20 for a 1000 ml bottle there, you can buy it in a shop called Trade Secrets at Florida Mall.

As for hair straighteners, I bought some in Walmart for $20 and they do the same job as the GHD's. They come with me on every trip and have saved me a fortune.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
403 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

where is the best place to buy redken hair products

Harleysville...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

jodibobs - you can buy redken at most hair salons. Also, there is a beauty supply store called ULTA - not sure where one is located, though - maybe another member knows?? I live in PA and buy the majority of my hair/nail/beauty products from this store - they usually have good sales and great selection of merchandise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you buy Toiletries before you go?

I think I'm in the minority and always take our toiletries with us. I enjoy going out and getting all the holiday toiletries/first aid bits and bobs. It's exciting, knowing our holdiay is almost here! Also I worry I won't be able to get the same products I use here so I can rest assured I have everything I need. I have a bit of OCD re my hair you see! Also whenever I've needed to restock on deodrant over there they just don't have the selection we have with all the extra dryness things in it (their Right Guard is definately different to ours!), which you definately need in August temperatures! So I'll be doing the same again this year and will buy it all before I go.