We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to rent a car or not?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
to rent a car or not?

we didnt really know if it would be worth renting a car as we will have to pay under 25 driver tax, we will be staying on i-drive, will it be easy for us to get around if we decide not to rent one?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to rent a car or not?

It depends what you want to do. If you only want to go the the parks every day you can do that without a car.

If you want to see Florida, visit the beaches, Everglades, state parks like Blue springs, & Wicievia, Daytona race track, and off the beaten track places you need a car.

But look through the hundreds of back post on this subject where there is lots of differing views.

There is one car hire which doesn't charge the extra for under 25;s but that is only for certain models

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to rent a car or not?

Hiring a car will undoubtedly be more convenient, but not essential, if you're not getting around much.

If you can get a good enough package deal with Virgin Holidays, their platinum package covers drivers between 21-25 years, but you'd have to weigh up the costs between Virgin and others.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to rent a car or not?

You can get around by public transport check:

golynx.com

i-ridetrolley.com

And the search function on this forum as this has been debated to death.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to rent a car or not?

IMO a car is not essential but makes best use of your time - no waiting for buses, get from A to B without going via a load of other hotels etc.

A friend of mine did the no car thing last year and although managed to get around OK said he would definately get a car next time.

It doesn`t have to cost a fortune either. Shop around to get a good deal - way up the cost of the car included in a package ( usually doesn`t include insurance) vs direct through someone like Airline Network ( usually get a car and insurance cheaper than the so called "free car" you get with a package).

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to rent a car or not?

As others have said, it depends on how far you want to travel. You can easily get to the major amusements and shopping venues without a car, so, unless you intend to try and visit beaches or other similarly distant destinations, you should save yourself the money.

Here are some public transport facts; read, ask more if you need to, and then decide:

---------------------------------------

There are two regular bus services; LYNX (the city bus service) and I-Ride (an independent limited service aimed at tourists, but which strangely doesn't actually go to the major tourist destinations).

Your best choice for a non-driving option is to use LYNX buses. These have a much, much more comprehensive coverage than the I-Ride trolley. They also pretty much duplicate the I-Ride route so you don't really need tickets for both. If you are going to be using buses with any frequency to get to and from the attractions, only LYNX will take you.

From anywhere on I-Drive between Premium Outlets and Prime Outlets to:

- Universal - take bus 8 or 42 to the intersection with Sand Lake Rd and then bus 21 every 30 minutes from the adjacent Sand Lake Rd stop.

- Universal (alternative 1) - 8 or 42 to a stop two lights North/East of WetNWild; cross the street and take 37 every 30 minutes.

- Universal (alternative 2 if starting out south of Sea World) - 8 to the intersection of Sea Harbor Drive and Central Florida Parkway; transfer to 43 to Universal - only runs one per hour and does not run on Sunday.

- Sea World, Aquatica and Discovery Cove - bus 8 frequent from a stop on I-Drive.

- Disney Parks - bus 8 to any one of three or four stops near Sea World, then transfer to bus 50 express to Disney's Transportation & ticket Center. Use Disney's free bus/boat/monorail to the parks.

- Busch Gardens - you'll need the Busch Gardens shuttle express which picks up at a couple of places in the area - near Gooding's supermarket half a block to the south of Sand Lake Rd; and at Sea World. (There may be other points, too). This is a once-per-day scheduled service, but you need to book in advance by phone to be sure of getting a seat. The price is very low and it's free for holders of certain multi-park admission tickets (e.g. the type of Orlando FlexTicket which includes Busch).

You can also go by LYNX to

- Premium Outlets - 8 or 42 south

- Prime Outlets - 8 or 42 north

- Florida Mall - 42 north

- Millennia Mall - 8 or 42 north to Prime then 24

etc............

Obviously, if you are starting out close to a transfer point (e.g. if you are at the Wyndham, then you are already close to Sand Lake Rd) you'd walk rather than taking the first bus detailed above.

Download timetables for all these and other LYNX services at

www.golynx.com

Costs:

$1.75 each person one-way regardless of distance. Transferring buses (eg from 8 to 50 at Sea World for Disney) is at no extra cost so long as you ask for a transfer ticket when you board and pay.

or

$4 for an all-day ticket (if you are going to make >2 one-way trips in a day)

^^^^^ buy from the driver, no change given

or, for best value and convenience

$14 for a week's unlimited use. Buy in advance from either the ABC Supermarket on Carrier Drive (next to TGI Fridays) or from the Official Visitor Center 1/2 a block north of Bahama Breeze on I-Drive, set at the back of a parking lot and indicated by an orange, yellow and black "i" sign.

All the services I have mentioned above have a frequency of every 30 minutes or better (except as noted for service 43). But do study the schedules for precise timings to minimise waiting and note that the number 8 bus stops running earlier in the evening on Sundays so take care if you are returning from Disney on a Sunday.

Once you have LYNX passes, you won't also need I-Ride passes. On the odd occasion that you do feel the need to ride the trolley, I suggest you just pay cash - $1 each.

---------------------------------------

And just to emphasise...........

LYNX stops in pretty much all the same places as the I-Ride.

LYNX services on I-Drive run until the small hours of the morning (earlier on Sundays). They do get less frequent later on, so do take copies of the schedules with you.

You will not need I-Ride tickets as well as LYNX tickets. If you've bought LYNX passes as I recommend you do, you can use LYNX for any trips you would otherwise use the I-Ride main line for.

6. Re: to rent a car or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 18:16