We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resting during days at the park

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
713 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Resting during days at the park

One of the adults in our group has had a hip replacement lst yr and is worried that he will be tired walking all day at Disney.

We will be staying at Best Western Lakeside kissimmee.

Will it be easy for him to take the car and go back to the hotel for a rest? Or is taking a cab or the hotel shuttle (if there is one) easier?

Anyone knows how long it will take by car and how much it would cost by cab?

I was also thinking that maybe there would be some place for him to sit down and rest at Disney while the rest of us went on the rides.

Any rides he shouldn't do?

I am a bit worried about this so any info would be great.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resting during days at the park

There are numerous places where one may sit and rest for a while at each of the theme parks at Disney, both indoors and outdoors.

Going back to the hotel from Magic Kingdom would be the worst trip, since it would involve riding across to the parking lot via monorail or ferry boat, then driving back to Kissimeee, which is a good 5 to 6 miles or more. The other parks are somewhat closer and easier to get back to the parking lot.

As for rides he shouldn't do, any of the ones that "throw you around" a lot would probably be best avoided. There's almost too many to mention, so check the park guides for rides that are "not good for those with back problems" and such.

Here's a small list of some to probably avoid:

Magic Kingdom: Space Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, and possibly Splash Mtn.

Epcot: Test Track and possibly Mission Space.

Hollywood Studios: Rock & Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and maybe even Tower of Terror.

Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, and Primeval Whirl.

pa
Level Contributor
53,803 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resting during days at the park

I agree, not worth it to try and get back to your Hotel. There are Plenty of places to take a break inside all the Parks. Take note of where the First Aid Stations are incase he needs to lay down for a bit :)

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resting during days at the park

If he wants a bit of a longer rest, I'd almost take advantage of the resorts right there on the monorail. Many have more cushy chairs that he can sit and relax in. That was he won't have to go all the way back to Kissimmee for a longer rest on something more comfortable than a park bench.

But there are plenty of benches and indoor spots for him to sit and relax in the parks :)

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resting during days at the park

Yes there are places he can sit and take rest periods. I recommend that he start walking now at home to increase his muscular endurance so the hip isn't as sore at the end of the day. And do his home exercises like his therapist told him too...):)Also, if someone is going to be using a stroller, he can use it as an assistive device as he begins to tire. Then make sure he takes NSAD's for inflammation. He can also ice the hip at night.

He should avoid all rides that put increased forces through the hip. Any rides that he would push the foot forward quickly. Any suspended roller coasters will be okay.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resting during days at the park

One quick response regarding using the Disney strollers as an assist for walking - they are not very heavy in the front, so if the person with the hip problem put too much weight on it, or if the child suddenly got out, it would be a disastrous fall to the concrete. I would get a wheelchair or an ECV before relying on a stroller for support.

The problem with sitting in the Magic Kingdom is that you nearly have to be in a restaurant or first aid center if you want air conditioning. The best advice from above is probably to take the monorail to one of the nearby Magic Kingdom resorts and sit in one of the big comfy chairs in one of the lobbies. The Polynesian has a little waterfall that is nice to look at. Or catch a boat to Wilderness Lodge - I love their lobby.

Central FL
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Resting during days at the park

Discovered a new way to rest at the Magic Kingdom on a recent trip. Ride the train! A young couple with their toddler and infant were going round and round. The breeze kept them cool and the motion relaxed the children. The couple said it was easier than heading all the way back to their hotel. I would think it should also work for any adult needing to rest their bones (and new hips)!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resting during days at the park

Good call, jt! I'd forgotten about the train!

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resting during days at the park

The Hall of Presidents has very cool air conditioning. We've ducked in before. You can find a seat quite awhile before the show starts.

Wal Mart and places like cabella's , etc sell really small tri-pod seats. They are small enough to stick in a backpack. It might be handy if you have to wait in line long.

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resting during days at the park

Been there, done that. Bad back and knee surgery. Been to Disneyworld, Universal, and Sea World with both problems. I never had a problem finding a place to sit, rest, and watch the world go by. The train is a great suggestion. Carousel of Progress is also excellent. There are numerous choices in every park. Epcot probably offers the most choices, Sea World the fewest choices for sitting it out; At Sea World, I just chose to go ahead to the next show on our list and be the first one in the theater. Not exactly cushy, but at least it provided a place to sit for a while.

Don't worry yourself about it. He'll be fine and will have just as good a time as everyone else.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resting during days at the park

As others have suggested, there are plenty of places in all of the parks where he can sit for a while. But for a longer and more restful break, I would suggest slipping over to one of the resort hotels for an hour or two. All of the Disney parks have resorts close by. People have mentioned the monorail resorts from the MK, but there's also the Yacht/Beach Club just a few minutes walk (or boat ride)from Epcot, the Swan/Dolphin are easily reached from HS by a nice boat ride, and the Animal Kingdom Lodge from the AK. This makes a really nice break in the middle of the afternoon, when the parks are hot and crowded. They all have lobbies with nice, comfortable chairs, and he can probably find a nice, quiet spot for a little nap. That kind of bigger, quieter mid-afternoon break is really refreshing.

I would also strongly recommed using an ECV or wheelchair, at least in Epcot, which particularly requires a great deal of walking. My dad and other elderly relatives used the ECVs and wheelchairs in the parks for several years before they needed assistance walking in normal life, and it really made a difference for them. ECVs are tough to use at the MK, but are great for Epcot.