We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only child at WDW

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taunton,Somerset
Level Contributor
479 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Only child at WDW

Hi there,

We are intending to visit Orlando in 2010(sounds ages away doesn't it!!). I have a Daughter who,by then ,will be 7 and she will be the only kid.

My question is do only kids miss out on anything that kids with siblings do?i.e. enjoying shows

Thanks

Florida City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Only child at WDW

not at all she gets your family to look up

to shell love it she wont miss out

trust me.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only child at WDW

Well, having raised two only children (11 yrs apart), we have done the "only child" disney thing. I don't believe they missed out in disney any more than anywhere else. It is probably nice to have sibs (that are kids) to share it all with. Then again, no compromise! She can lead you where she would like to go. We don't ride roller coasters so our kids learned to ride alone, and still had a great time.

Since it is what it is, have a great time! Enjoy your vacation, and your daughter!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only child at WDW

Actually, I think being the only child gives you an advantage in that that child gets to pick and choose everything you do. There's no fighting about, "I wanna do this/I wanna do that."

She will have a wonderful time. To really spoil her, take her to have a princess makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

New York
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Only child at WDW

I agree with Kat- we have an only child (boy 16 yrs old) He enjoys going to Florida so much (and so do we!), that honestly we never gave it a second thought that he didn't have siblings with him. At 16 he still gets so excited about going, and it's nice that the 3 of us can all share an enjoyable vacation making great memories!

Taunton,Somerset
Level Contributor
479 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only child at WDW

Thanks everyone.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only child at WDW

I think you bring with you the style you are used to. Now if a only child comes to my house....they can be scared. Wacky house with 6 kids. If my kids go to a house of a only child, they are a bit shocked at the difference.

Now on Disney....Lucky you. I agree with above no argueing over where to go next.

I also know some with only children and the kids tend to make friends faster. They are used to it. My kids always have someone around so they don't need to make friends.

Romulus, Michigan
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Only child at WDW

I was a little worried about the same thing, our son will be 5.5 when we take him at the end of April, but then again DH and I are big kids anyway, I think I am more excited than either of them to go. I'm sure your daughter will have a great time!

Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only child at WDW

Everyone becomes a kids again at Disney, so actually there will be three kids!!!

Seeing Disney thru a child's eyes is all it takes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only child at WDW

I'm an only child...and I always loved Disneyland. i even will go down there for a hoot sometimes by myself, just for a day out (usually in the off season or when there is a work meeting happening nearby). Being an o/c made me more self sufficient and independent---whcih is why I've traveled all over the world solo and don't even think twice about it. What's harder for me is traveling with others (usually because they can't keep up with me, lol!)

What I do remember from my younger days is striking up conversations with other kids everywhere. Youngsters adapt and make their own fun, so I think she'll be fine. And I'd second the boutique trip!

BTW I lived in Exeter for years and loved the cider round your part of the world! (scrumpy--mmmm!)

Romulus, Michigan
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Only child at WDW

I have to agree with the posters that said that being an only child they tend to make friends more easily. Every time we take our son to the park etc., he always walks up to kids and says "you want to play", and he is only 4 (almost 5). I think it's pretty cute.