We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

New York
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

Just wondering this year- I know it's early in the summer, but with the economy the way it is, I was wondering for those of you have already been to Orlando this past month or so, have you seen any different in crowd levels compared to other years?

tcc
crawley, west sussex
Level Contributor
551 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

I came back last week, and the crowds were pretty busy! For example went to Epcot on a supposed less busy day (according to undercover tourist) and queues for Soarin' and Test track were over an hour by 10am! Fastpasses for Soarin were gone by midday.

There were only 3 parks which weren't busy, Discovery Cove (obviously!), KSC and Universal Studios.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,225 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

Same story as TCC, my son and his girlfriend got back at the weekend and they've never seen it so busy. Hardly went on anything, turned up at EPCOT one morning and just turned back again because it was so crammed.

No signs of economic problems here :-)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

I'm wondering if the "downturn" in the economy won't show up in Orlando at all until possibly next year and here's why.

From what I've gathered from posters here on the forum, most folks begin to plan an Orlando trip about a year ahead of time, give or take a few months. Most folks visiting this summer probably began planning either before the first of the year or shortly thereafter, when the economy was better. Many of these folks may have paid for a good portion of their trip beforehand.

Another factor is that many folks will give up everyday stuff to still be able to take their vacations. They simply cut back in other areas to be able to take their Orlando trip regardless.

There's probably been a slight reduction of visitors, perhaps even 5%, but in the "big picture" of things, this really doesn't amount to much reduction of crowds in the theme parks.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

I agree with Katscub. We booked and paid for our holiday in March for next year and so the extra costs dont apply. Of course the latest figures out today suggest the position is going to worsen over the next year and despite what our amateur pundits on the forum say, the professionals think this is only the beginning. With this in mind we will have second thoughts about going in 2010. This is when the problems will start.There will be less tourists, less flights and more foreclosures of hotels, businesses and houses.It will be bad for a few years but should stabilise. Unfortunately I will then be too old to go to Fl.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

How is it possible to be too old?????

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

Possibly for every person who doesn't fly to FL for WDW this year, one or two may drive to WDW from a closer location, thus making it a push. I think a better question to ask may be, are you changing your vacation destination this year or next year due to the economy and gas prices, etc.

England
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

Moving on bit from what Kat has said about the downturn being delayed ...........

For every family that has decided to not go to Disney there is possibly another replaceing them from other holiday destinations.

If you are a family that live in the states and travel worldwide, you will probably rein in a bit and have a couple of years travelling stateside with the Disney parks being a major destination.

I am not saying it will replace all those folks that have pulled out but the drop in numbers might not be as dramatic as you think.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

Are there any hard numbers available to the public to show increases or decreases in attendance this year at the parks?

Does the increase in knowledge of the sites predicting crowd sizes on a given day, cause that day to be less busy, because more people have read that it will be busy and go a different day?

9. Re: Any change in crowd levels at the parks???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 08:18