We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After park to-do's?

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
334 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
After park to-do's?

I am a first time visitor to Orlando (coming in start of august) and have no clue how this is going to be. I guess my other newbie questions have given this away already....

What is the normal park-day for "normal" people? Would a day at the parks get you so exhausted that the family would stay at the hotel after a day at the park, or is it normal to go back-shower-hit the streets again for a dinner etc?

In case what are good places to go for dinner/entertainment etc for a family of two adults and 2 boys at 10 and 14?

Someone here in Norway recommended Medieval Times. Opinions?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,314 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After park to-do's?

Well, it depends.

Lots of folks do take a mid-day break from the parks in August due to the massive heat and humidity and rain that comes between 1:00 PM and about 6:00 PM each day.

Then, after the break and dinner, they go back to the parks for the evening hours when it's cooler and the nighttime park activities happen (like fireworks and parades).

Other folks leave the parks, then go for dinner and other activities later in the evening without returning to the theme parks.

Still others just stay in the park all day long.

It's really a personal choice.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,314 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After park to-do's?

I've been to Medieval Times dinner show and the show was pretty good, while the food was just o.k., nothing great.

I personally preferred the Hoop Dee Doo Revue musical dinner show at Disney's Ft. Wilderness better.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After park to-do's?

Depending on how much you cover at the parks and your stamina level, you might be tired.

But some ideas are:

Disney Quest in DownTown Disney. It has floors of interactive games. My kids always loved it.

There are a number of Miniature ( putt-putt) golf places. There are 2 on the Disney property that are fun, but there are others on 192.

Old Town on 192 is fun, too. They have restaurants and some rides, as well as cool shops to walk around.

Getting yummy ice cream at Downtown Disney Marketplace at Ghiradellis. There are cool shops and a Legos store that the kids like.Sometimes there are live performers singing at the Market place, as well. They have the maga of all Disney stores there.

There are numerous movie theaters. One at Disney and one at Universal's City Walk as well as one ( since you said that you are staying in Kissimmee) on John Young Parkway in the shopping Center called The Loop.

Universla's CityWalk has cool restaurants that the kids may enjoy.

But there is enought at the parks to do to keep you busy all day, so just see how your days go.

Enjoy!!!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After park to-do's?

I also agree with the previous person. The Hoopde doo revue is a lot of fun. It is a little pricey and you would need to make reservations before you go. It is very popular. It is at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Good Barbeque and fun cowboy type show.

Another idea that I havent done but heard was really fun is also at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds. Some night of the week, they have a campout with Chip and Dale Again, I think you would need reservations.

I also agree that it might be worth it to go back to your condo for a while midday ( depending on how far you are) for a swim. The parks have a lot of fun stuff at night that the kids would enjoy.

Magic Kingdom has fireworks. Epcot has a great light show and Hollywood Studios ( the old MGM) has a great show called Fantasmic . These are all included in the price of your ticket.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After park to-do's?

yep after parks we usually go to hotels, maybe rest a bit, shower and get dressed to go out to dinner or stay in the hotel pool/jacuzzi and have quick bite there.

some go to universal orlando - city walk or disney downtown.

there is also mini golf and different activities on international drive.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After park to-do's?

As you can probably see OlaDunk, there is no such thing as a normal day in Orlando! Myself and my husband usually do one of two things:

1) Be at tha parks at opening, do all the big rides first, have lunch, wander round the shops. We are usually done by 3pm at the latest so we head back to the hotel. We then come back to the parks at about 6-7 for a bite to eat and a bit more pottering about.

2) Same as above except stay at the hotel a little longer and then about 8pm head to Downtown Disney, Universal Citiwalk or International Drive for dinner and a wander around.

I think the best thing is to play it by ear. See how much energy you have at the end of the day and plan accordingly. Do remember how hot it will be in August, that really saps the energy up. Take plenty of breaks, drink lots of water and try not to cram too much into eash day!

7. Re: After park to-do's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 21:20