We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15kg...is it really that bad?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West yorkshire
Level Contributor
663 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
15kg...is it really that bad?

we are going with thomas cook nd didn't opt to pay for extra luggage allowance so have 15kg allowance each.....we thought that would be enough but have seen it mentioned a lot on this forum........is it really that bad only having 15kg? are we really going to stuggle to take everything we need and more importantly bringing stuff back

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

That's only 30lb!!!! Shoes alone weigh 2lb - so unless you are really good at not buying much when you are away, you may find you have a problem?!!

Algarve
Level Contributor
171 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

I personally could never manage with 15kgs of luggage coming back from the US.

You need to think of what you are expecting to buy - exchange rate is so good there are plenty of bargins to be had over the pond !

Even a few t-shirts/a pair of jeans/trainers and the odd souvenirs would weigh enough - let alone the weight of the clothes that you will be taking with you for a two week holiday.

We normally travel over hand luggage only ( enough clothes for the first 3 days - this allows for sometime to shop for new stuff or to wash a change of clothes to wear again).

Seriously consider paying for the extra luggage before you go as you will be charged a hefty sum at check in if you are over.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

As a medium standard suit case weighs 3 kg plus one pair of shoes . An average full ghange of of just over 2 Kg . without any towels and wash items, you wont have much left to bring anithing except a post card back

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

It's doable, but I think you will kick yourself when you see how cheap everything is out there! I think it is worth your while to pay the excess baggage allowance, you will save the amount ten times over if you plan to shop out there.

If you do decide to try and keep to 15kg, only bring the minimum of cosmetics, they are cheaper to buy out there anyway. Bring your books and other heavy items in your hand luggage (they often don't weigh hand luggage if it looks to be the right size). Be really brutal with your packing! Put what you think you will need in and then take half out!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

Having just returned from a European holiday with a baggage limit of 15kg, I was surprised at the amount of clothes equalled the 15kg, in my opinion, it would be doable.The problem is there would be no room for anything you buy out there. Another alternative is to take clothes that are nearing the end of their use and when you have finished with them, throw them away. This will free up space in yous case for those tempting bargains.

London
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

My case was 17Kg on the way out , and Id packed light.

15kg is shocking in my opinion

This is the problem with alot of airlines - they try and make out you've got a good deal, then hit you with a measly baggage allowance, charging you £25 each if you want a bit more, then £20 each if you want the privelage of sitting next to your child , and then another £20 each if you want to eat on your 9 hour flight! I think it is bl**dy outrageous...

sorry for that rant.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

I would leave all toilitries etc over there to cut down on weight and put shoes, hairdryer and heavy stuff in your hand luggage.

However I dont think I have EVER had a case under 15kg - even for a long weekend!!

Good luck wth whatever you decide to do

wales
Level Contributor
451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

We upgraded to Premium with Tc's to get a better allowance, there is no way I could manage on 15 kilo's. I suppose you could try wearing everthing you buy over there on your return flight

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

Wow...someone mentioned 15kg is 30lbs? I think most airlines in the US you get 50lbs. My bag usually weighs 47lbs (I'm so proud of myself usually) And that's for a week or less. Granted I bring all my own toiletries and hair dryer, etc which adds up, but still... I couldn't do 30lbs...

West yorkshire
Level Contributor
663 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15kg...is it really that bad?

i'm really questioning if i'm gonna have enough but if i wanted to add extra baggage allowance i cant just do it for 1 or 2 in our group....all 6 of us would have to pay the £25....which i think is really bad....thats another £150 ontop and my parents-in-law wont want to have more allowance...its just us that wanted a little extra with having a 3yr old and 18month old with us!!!! i dont know what to do....£150 is eating into our spending money when i'd have been happy to pay £50 for just 2 bags having the extra allowance!!!!