We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

I'm going to Florida next month and wondered what is the best way for paying for everything whilst there.

I was just going to get loads of dollars, but I've been told it is better where possible to pay by credit card because you get the true exchange rate - i.e. not the reduced rate you get when buying currency.

I also wondered about US travellers cheques, but have been told that a lot of places no longer accept them.

Any help please ?

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
478 Reviews
from US$54.99*
Kennedy Space Center, Everglades...
190 Reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
131 Reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
17 Reviews
from US$51.99*
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,451 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

TC's are still accepted at most places but they are being replaced by credit and debit cards due to the better exchange rate and no fees.

A Nationwide debit card for your cash and a VISA or MasterCard credit card for those dearer purchases should see you right.

And tell your credit card issuer and bank you will be in Florida so they don't stop the cards for suspicious transactions :-)

Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

I'm not sure about your exchange rate, etc.

However, we used traveler's checks once and will never again. Whoever signed them is the only one who can cash them. We did half in my name & half in husband's name. Only carried some each day.

When we'd check out for something, it never failed, I needed a couple of his to finish my purchase, or he didn't have enough left in his name for another. We HAD to check out together. If we split up, then you couldn't purchase anything. Way too inconvienent for us.

We have carried cash ever since and never had any problems.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

When we went last year we used cards but found it took ages for the authorisation to go through and you have to sign, so I'm not doing that this year, we're taking only $ - lots!

But that said, it is safer to have a card, just in case you need one for emergencies or for that bit of extra spending, you never know what you might find to buy in Orlando, shopping is brilliant!! So I'd recommend an Abbey Zero credit card, this has no extra charges for using your card abroad at all.

I'm taking this as well!

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

Get yourself a pre-paid mastercard from Fairfx or a visa one from the PO , you then buy dollars which are loaded onto your card , therefore you have the convienence of a CC without the bill to come back to - you can check your balance on the card either on line or via text message , plus you can load up anytime you want - Fairfx are giving you $1.955 to the pound just now which is 4/5 cents more than most places and can add up to a bit when purcahsing a large amount of currency.

No charge for mayking purchases or paying for meals with the card but $2 to withdraw from a cash machine.

Pre-paid cards certainly seem the way to go.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

I always use credit cards for everything; as you say, you get a better rate - especially from one were the rate isn't "loaded" (Nationwide for one has no loading) - but even the 2.75% ones give a better rate than you'll get for cheques or currency.

I've never experienced any problem or delay with authorisation - dunno what I'm doing different.

For me, it's a few dollars cash for the odd drink, Ice Cream, bus fare etc., and plastic all the way for the rest. I take a few cards and leave all but one in the hotel safe - a bit of instantly available resilience just in case I lose one.

Oh....and pay it off in full by the due date to avoid interest. Mine are on direct debit.

6. Re: Currency, Travellers Cheques, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 10:19