We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South East England...
Level Contributor
187 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

I last went to Orlando 16 years ago and stayed in Kissimee, I am hoping to take the family next year now the kids are at a great age for it.

I need recommendations, is it best to do a package holiday, if so, who with?

Thanks

Formby, United...
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

if i was you i'd check all the main travel agents site on the internet for a price. you can get some good deals and when you get what you think is a good price just pop into you local high street branch and they will normally beat or at least match it. we just popped in our local thomas cook and they match the price. however don't book your car hire with any travel agent or take out the free car hire option. the added insurances and taxes are more expensive than booking direct with any of the major car hire company. oh and don't get your hoilday insurance with them either. we were quoted less than half the price of the insurance quoted with thomas cook. hope this helps

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

it depends what you're looking for from your vacation and your comfort level in booking.

Do you want to stay onsite at Disney? and do mostly Disney attractions? if so you may not need a car rental and could consider the disney dining plan.

Do you want to stay in kissimmee again? in a hotel/motel? a condo? maybe even a vacation home

How long will you be staying?

How old are your kids?

Do you want to do Disney Attractions and get their combo tickets or Universal attractions and get their combo ticket or mix and match (which can be pricy)

If it were me... I would book flight + car together

Then I would book either a condo in a resort or a vacation home, depending on my desires of either resort style living or ultimate privacy.

I would pick a side and mostly stick to it, almost all Disney with 1-2 days at other parks, or almost all Universal/SeaWorld/Busch etc with only 1-2 days Disney.

But thats me... and everyone is different, so I guess you need to really evaluate what you want your vacation to be like. Orlando is a destination where you can have a completely different experience depending on what you want.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

Hi moveonup. It all depends on when you're travelling. I presume that if you're taking kids, it's going to be July/August?

I've personally found after hours and hours of searching, that it's far cheaper or us to book flights/Hotels/Villas/Car hire seperately. However, our child is not yet in school, so we like to go in first 2 weeks of May, when it's generally less crowded than middle of summer.

By all means, check out the likes of Virgin, Travelcitydirect, Thomascook etc, but also check out the links below to compare the overall cost.

www.travelsupermarket.com

www.travelrepublic.co.uk

www.airlinenetwork.co.uk

Also, if you're considering hiring a villa, check out www.vrbo.com and www.vr360homes.co.uk

Happy searching!

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

This is a complete turn around for me but after years of booking independantly other than the car hire with the turn down in People booking there are some good bargains on the high street Travel Shops.

South East England...
Level Contributor
187 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

Thanks, everything helps.

Kids are 8 & 6, I would possibly like to stay at a Disney hotel because this holiday is all about the kids. Not sure how they compare pricewise against other hotels. Don't think I would need a car for more than 2-3 days?

I know 16 years ago when I was 22, Orlando was all a bit too much and I couldn't wait to det to Clearwater. But this time I will through myself in for a full 14 days of Disney mayhem.

South East England...
Level Contributor
187 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

Has anyone been at Christmas with there family?

How did the prices, crowds and weather compare?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,109 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

Trust me, you do not want your kid's first visit to Disney World happening during Christmas week. It is THE #1 BUSIEST WEEK of the entire year and you've never seen crowds like they have that week.

All the theme parks close daily by noon that week because the crowds are so large. Picture standing in line for over 90 minutes for a single ride. Not pretty!!

Now, if you can possibly go in early December, you can see all the decorations and holiday events without the crowds.

As for staying on Disney property, you can find cheaper and bigger, but if Disney is your main destination, staying on property is the smart thing to do. You'll have all your transportation taken care of, even to and from the airport if you fly into Orlando International and not Sanford. You'll also have very close access to your room should you decide to take midday breaks.

What is your budget (nightly) for a room?

Tynemouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

Hi,

we've got 2 sons ages 11 & 13 and have been to Florida three times, twice in early May & this year we went in mid June (youngest was doing SATS in May).We got an awful lot of rain in June and the parks were busier.

If your children aren't involved in SATS at school I would recommend May -avoid school holidays if possible!!Not only is it a LOT busier but the holiday price rockets..

We have stayed on International Drive each time but next time we will be trying a villa.

Tynemouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

A bit more....

We went with Direct holidays & got an excellent deal which my local travel agent couldn't match.

As previous posts confirm it depends on how confident you are booking flights accomodation etc on the internet or have the comfort zone of your usual travel agent.

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Florida, advice for a Family Holiday

We book everything separately, it mostly works out cheaper. We are stuck to the factory shutdown in July/August and find that flying out of a Scottish Airport or flights via Dublin (I know long way round) but a few extra hours as opposed to a few hundred extra pounds - no brainer. We tried Christmas one year - never again, what a waste of time and money. The lines in the parks were longer than I have ever seen them a total of two rides on Christmas Eve put us off for ever. We spent the rest of the week relaxing in the townhouse and enjoying visiting the "other Orlando". The state is amazing if you wnat to do other things and visit other places.