We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first family holiday to Orlando

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Llanharan, Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Our first family holiday to Orlando

Hello All,

We are a family of 8, 2 parents, 4 children and 2 grandparents. Kids are-one turns 18 while there, 15, 14 and 6.

We have already booked the villa, car, Orlando flextickets and flights for 8th september and will be visiting for 2 week.

Please can you give me a bit of advise on some aspects of our holiday?

We only want to do Disney's Magic Kingdom for one day. How much will this cost?

Any advice on eating out? I understand that tax will be added to the final bill but how much do I tip? I want to do it right.

I obviously drive on the left. Will I be ok driving on the right. Stupid question I know, but I am worried that I could cause problems!

What will the park queues be like at this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

WV
Level Contributor
566 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first family holiday to Orlando

A ticket to Magic Kingdom will cost 71 USD for adults 60 USD for children.

I you wish to eat at MK - you would satify everone at the Crystal Palace. It might be hard to get a disny dining reservation - you should check right away.

According to touringplans.com, all the days you have chosen are a 4 or 5(on a scale of 10). That is a good tiMe to be there.

Since it will not be terribly crwded you should just work the fast past system and you will do real well. According to those numbers, there may be waits of about 45 mins. If you work your fastpass right - you will do well.

Mrsg7176

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first family holiday to Orlando

Just wondered why you were thinking of going to Disney for one day only? There are so many things to enjoy for your youngest child, and also for the older ones.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first family holiday to Orlando

Hi

The cost of eating in an average restaurant is about half the cost of the uk so usually where a steak will cost £12 in uk its $12 in us. There are less expensive buffet restaurants and more expensive ones but there are ways to accomodate every budget.

Where food is concerned you don't leave a tip for counter service ie. mcdonalds etc but tip table service 15-20%. Generally people leave 20% plus its easier to work out lol. There are lots of lovely straight roads in Orlando so you can adjust. It may be a good idea for you to get a book called Brit Guide to Orlando by Simon & Susan Veness. You can buy them online at ebay/amazon.

They explain a lot of the does and don'ts and should help.

Lisax

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first family holiday to Orlando

First off be sure to check your bill before you tip, with a party of 8 they add the tip automatically in many places.

Second I would consider buying more days at the disney parks, even though your kids are older you will enjoy all the parks. If you only did 3 parks I would skip Hollywood Studios since your already doing Universal.

Also with the ages your kids are I would visit a disney waterpark, there is so much detail to them they are a must see.

The lines should not be bad this time of year since US schools are all back in session by this time.

Llanharan, Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first family holiday to Orlando

Hello All,

Thanks for the great info and advice.

One day at Disney I thought would be enough as we only want to see the Magic Kingdom. We want to try and experience as much of Orlando as possible. I personally do quite like the look of Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beech (hope I got the names right there!) is there a ticket that mixes these parks in?

Cheers again.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,436 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first family holiday to Orlando

Well, there is a 2-day theme park ticket that will give you 2 water park options as well, but you cannot get 2 water park admissions with only a 1-day theme park ticket.

If you truly only want to visit M.K. for one day and no other Disney theme parks, you'll probably have to buy each admission separately, in order to see both water parks (Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach).

If your trip is soon, probably all the advanced dining reservations for table service meals are booked at Disney, so you may be limited to counter service at Magic Kingdom.

7. Re: Our first family holiday to Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:21