We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair Straightners

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hair Straightners

Hi,

I was devastated to find that my hair straightners were useless on my last trip to Orlando and spent the whole two weeks looking like Chaka Khan having a frizzy hair day! My plan is to buy a hair straightner when I get to the US. Can anyone recommend a good make so I don't spend half my holiday choosing a pair?

Many thanks.

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair Straightners

I don't use one, but everyone I know that does uses a CHI brand model.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair Straightners

My trick is to give up on keeping my hair straight on those really humid days. I just scrunch it. Or throw a hat on. I've got hair that's somewhere in the middle of being curly and straight. So it's wavy...kind of. :)

So basically my advice to you is just to give into your hair. Find a curl enhancement product and use it. Then spray with hairspray. And just go.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair Straightners

I would give in to my hair if I was just going ot Orlando but I am going to Vegas first and must have tidy hair there! I only asked on the Orlando forum because you guys are so much more friendlier!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair Straightners

Haha...oh! Well then, that changes things!! I've never been to Vegas, but from what I know, Vegas is a lot dryer than Orlando, so your hair isn't going to get nearly as frizzy. It's going to be a lot easier to control. With the way I style my hair, I use a curling iron on my ends to just control them, so I can't help with straighteners, BUT see if you can get yourself to an Ulta. It's a beauty store. I just looked up online to see what their locations are in LV and they have 3. Hopefully you'll be able to find one!! I've found that the girls that work there are very helpful and will get you what you need. I've visited them in a few different locations when I've moved and I've liked all that I've been in.

These are the three in LV:

"The Best of the West Shopping Center:" 2186 N Rainbow Blvd

"Arroyo Market Square:" 7265 Arroyo Crossing Parkway

"Silverado Ranch Plaza:" 9857 S Eastern Ave

Actually, there's one in Henderson, which is in the metro area of LV too... Stephanie Street Shopping Center: 543 N Stephanie St, Henderson, NV

Hope that helps a bit! Trust me, Ulta will hook you up!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair Straightners

Kat, that sounds great. I will definately look them up when I am in Vegas. Thanks for your help.

Swansea
Level Contributor
655 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair Straightners

Bought my wife GHD's hair straightners this xmas, duel voltage too so they can be used in the USA too.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair Straightners

I spend way too much money in that store :) There's another make-up/beauty store called Sephora, which is great too, but they don't have the hair-straighteners and such like Ulta. They stick mainly with make-up.

Glad I could help! WalMart, Target, etc. will have a good selection, but if you need any help finding a good one, Ulta would be my store of choice to shop in! If you know what kind you want, I'd head to a WalMart or Target to buy it (assuming they carry the brand!) because it might save a few bucks, but no one there will know anything about them besides what it says on the package.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair Straightners

Any dual-voltage straighteners will work in both the UK and America. My wife was a given a cheap travel straightener last Christmas, and it worked great out there, and while not quite as nice to use as her nice UK ones, they were fine for the holidays, smaller to pack, and can be used when we travel anywhere in the world. Much better (and more convienient) than buying a straightener in America.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,062 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair Straightners

GHD mark 4's bought now or within the last 12 monts or so will work perfectly in the USA and will supply you with the air you need. ~£90 online form their shop.

Otherwise, I would not suggest going to a salon and dropping $100 and a whole day of your holiday. I would suggest a trip to your nearest CVS or Walgreen's pharmacy or even Walmart/Target and pick up a US pair for around $15-$50. My $13 ones worked fine, although my GHD4's are far better.

John Frieda is now doing a range of weather proofing hair cleaning/styling products as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hair Straightners

I have an old pair of mk3 ghds n they wont work. I was tempted to just keep my curly but it also goes frizzy n so i just bought a new white pair of ghds called the pure iv styler from the ghd website and they cost £130 and come with next day delivery. I know i will always be going to america (hopefully!) so thought it was a good investment to have the dual voltage ones. I get called tina turner otherwise if i dont use straighteners ha. Good thing about ghds is the end of the plug changes to either a UK or US end. Whereas if you buy an america pair of straighteners which don't have both ends you will only be able to use them once a year when you go to america.