We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overweight son and rides

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
414 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Overweight son and rides

We will be visiting Disney and Universal this Christmas. My 20 year old son is 6'1" and about 300 pounds. He is very concerned that he won't be able to fit on the rides. He was at an amusement park last year where it took 2 operators to push the harness down on him and he was totally embarrassed. He is concerned he will have the same problem this time in Orlando.

Will this be a problem for him? I dont want to see him embarrassed.

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overweight son and rides

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ridsiz.htm

That should answer all questions.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overweight son and rides

I also have the same fear but so far have been okay, apart from on one occasion when i made a promise to my late friend that i would go on the Hulk. I had been on a few milder rides like Mummy & Aerosmith but was petrified of the Hulk. But i braved it, climbed aboard the ride...... and couldnt fit my lard a**e into the seat. Ive never been so pleased in all my life to have a big bum.!!!

Outside a lot of the rides they have a "tester" chair. Also i have been told on this forum that they have larger chairs in each carriage for the larger person, you just have to ask the attendant. Also look out for the chairs with 2 crotch straps, these are for big people. I love America because of the attitude towards larger people, nobody stares at you. Hope this helps a little. Im sure the attendants are used to this kind of little problem. Good luck.

Caz Essex X

England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overweight son and rides

Your son will have no problems, as said previously, some rides have special large seats. The staff at Disney and Universal are brilliantly discreet and helpful, its never embarrassing.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overweight son and rides

He should be fine on the majority of the rides.I know the Hulk and several other rides have a couple of "extra large" seats, you can usually identify these because they have 2 belts instead of 1. But if you ask the operators, they'll show which ones. My husband is about 6ft 2" and around the 19 stone mark and didnt need the larger seats on anything but the Hulk. Hope this helps.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overweight son and rides

Hope he goes and has a great time!

Va
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overweight son and rides

I don't think the other posters have ever been to the park with a large person. I went with my brother in law is 6'3 and about 280. Rides can be a challenge. He is going to experience the same embarassment that he had at the other park. While there are special seats for large people there are only a few and he will have to seak those out as people rush to get on the rides and they will have to likely shuffle people around so that he can sit in the special seat. He will hear lots of unfriendly comments.

Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overweight son and rides

Being a large person who is about to visit WDW I do understand your concern Tamsha. I was feeling the same way, thanks to this website I have checked out allears.net website and i am confident I won't have any problems.

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ridsiz.htm

wales
Level Contributor
285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overweight son and rides

I'm not huge, but I need to loose a couple of stone, and going to disney is the motivation I needed (as I want to fit on the little rides with my Son and maybe have my photo taken in a water park!) One stone down and 1 and 1/2 to go. Hopefully the flight will be comfier and I won't feel so guilty eating nice meals when I get there. No bread, rice, pasta or potatoes and the weights coming off steadily.

England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overweight son and rides

Sunngod.

I went to disney, very overweight and a slightly unstable knee and I was treated very kindly, compared to Britain my treatment was great.

I was a very fit competative swimmer until a horse riding accident stopped me walking and swimming for 6 months. Bored and depressed im afraid my weight increased.

As a bigger person you get used to comments from members of the public who judge you. Following an incident at a british Fun fair (people can be so cruel) I tried to commit suicide.

That was 8 years ago and I now play golf and manage to keep my weight at a reasonable level.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overweight son and rides

The above posters are correct many rides have larger seats for larger persons with safety bars also wider.

Be aware though that if you have a long body the bars will hit your shoulders before they are fully down. Hence you cannot ride or do so with squashed shoulders.

I am 6'6 and had this problem several times at all parks. I am in proportion legs/body and not particularly overweight.