We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question. I know Orlando has a rainy season which I believe to be July, August and September. Is it true that it rains every afternoon?

If so is there a weather buff out there or a local who can tell me if this rain shower or storm is also accompianed with a drastic drop in barometric pressure?

(strange request I know...I get migraines with each severe weather change so an extended stay in Florida during rainy season may be a big mistake)

Any fellow migraine sufferers in the area?

I need all the input and opinions I can get!

Thanks in advance!

Houston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

Yes it's true, it rains most afternoons (for some strange reason usually around 4pm). The rain doesn't last long and doesn't seem to affect the temperature.

Not sure about the barometric pressure but will be watching your responses with interest as my sister suffers from terrible migraines and she is visiting Florida next month for the first time.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I'm with you!! Trust me, I get them constantly. And the weather ones are terrible. (And p.s. when I say constantly I mean I used to get them almost every other day, now I finally found a preventative that works, so I'm down to once a week unless a storm system moves through. So seriously...constantly.)

And the best thing I can say is...I still go, as often as I can :) Though I avoid July & August if I can! As far as the storms go, when they go through, sometimes there's a drop, sometimes there's not as far as the pressure goes. And I'm sure the weather buffs can tell you the exact science, but at least for me, the more drastic it is, the more I'm affected. And I can probably tell you that morning how it'll be...when the storm rolls through I'm grateful :)

What works for me, which probably won't work for you...because isn't that how it usually is?? Is to stay as hydrated as possible because if you get dehydrated it's usually magnified. And then as SOON as you feel one coming on, take care of it. Be sure to carry your medicine on you. I know for me, I take Excedrin Migraine when I first feel it coming on and it usually gets rid of it if I catch it in time or at least controls it until the storm rolls through. And then I carry my prescription with me incase I really need it. Be sure to take plenty of rests and stay indoors when you need to!

I've been there, I've had to leave the parks because of migraines, so I know how awful they can be, but the best thing you can do is just to deal with them as soon as you get them! (And not be stubborn...) If you have any more questions about dealing with migraines & the parks, feel free to ask, because chances are that I've been there & done that! (My parents live in FL!)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,184 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I don't believe the "typical" thunderstorms that occur daily in Orlando during the summer months are normally accompanied by a drop in barometric pressure. They are just a product of the heat and humidity which builds up each day.

Usually a sudden drop or rise in barometric pressure occurs when a "front" comes through or a tropical disturbance is in the area. While this can happen at any time during those summer months, it's not the "normal" reason the daily rains occur.

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

Kat_Cubs_fan pretty much got it right.

My sinuses are definitely affected by barametric drops, and I seldom have problems since I moved here. (Syracuse was the worst for that!)

We do at times get fronts through that cause pressure to drop, but the daily storms don't seem to be accompanied by any significant drop.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I can't tell you how many hours I spent on google and researching on the internet trying to find the answer to this question!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer me. Anyone who has ever had a migraine knows how they can take over your life if you let them :)

Again, thanks for the opinions and insight and I'll gladly take any more info all you lovely people care to offer up!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I guess I should throw in there I'm also affected by high humidity and high heat. The combination for me is awful. So when the storms come through, the temps usually drops a bit and provides some relief. And as I said, I'm no weather buff, so I guess sometimes it's the heat & humidity and sometimes its the storm fronts...I don't know the difference! JOY! (I hate summer...winter is so much more manageable. Despite all the snow!!)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I'm OK with the high heat...not sure about the kind of humidity that is experienced in FLA! My biggest enemy is drastic quick weather change. It is a relief to hear that even when a storm comes in the feeling is there is not usually a drop in barometric pressure. Perhaps I will be OK afterall!

Better start drinking extra water now!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

Just bring whatever medicine you take, one for each day, just in case. I know it sounds extreme, but I think it's better to be safe than sorry. And I find staying extra hydrated helps me a lot. Just be sure that you note where the bathrooms are on a map!! And staying in the indoors as much as possible helps too. Air conditioning is my friend :) And keep a snack in your bag in case you get hungry. Now is not the time to test your limits!!

Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I live here and I also get migranes with drops in Barametric Pressure. The daily rain storms will not effect you because they are caused my the seabreezes from both coasts coliding during the heat of the day. If however there is a hurricane in the gulf or Atlantic this may cause you to get a migrane because they are BIG low pressure systems. Keep an eye on the forcast for any tropical systems.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,476 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florida's Daily Summer Rain Shower/Storm: Is it True? Help!

I don't get migraines, but I do get blinding headaches when the barometer changes. (that sentence reads oddly, I know -- but I used to get migraines, and there is a HUGE difference!)

The normal storms don't affect me in the least -- but keep an eye out for a tropical low -- the differentials there are big, and it doesn't have to be a hurricane or even a depression to leave me crumpled to my knees in misery.

I have also found that decongestants help considerably (keeps the sinuses open so they can equalize? just a guess)

That may or may not work for you...but decongestants and over the counter pain pills at least tames the beast for me.