We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

Some of you may be familiar by now with my upcoming travel plans but here's the deal - we're traveling in October with 2 teens(13&14) and 9 yr old. Only 4 whole days not including our travel days to spend in the parks. I'd like to know what everyone considers the "best" must do things so we know where to narrow it down at. My question is this: what are your favorite rides/activities in MK? In Epcot, In AK, In Hollywood, at Univeral - you get the drift.

Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

With four full days in October, lines should be short and you will be able to do just about everything, but here are my must-do attractions. My kids ages are very close to yours. I think you could do one morning at AK, with studios in the afternoon and evening, then you have a day and a half at both Epcot and MK.

MK: space mtn, big thunder mtn, splash mtn, pirates, small world, 3:00 parade, spectromagic parade, fireworks, and I really like hall of presidents

Epcot: test track, soarin', maelstrom (norway), americian experience, mission space, illuminations

studios: rocknrollercoaster, tower of terror, fantasmic

AK: everest, kilamanjaro safari, festival of the lion king

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

I'm not a huge fan of Universal, so I can't really help there...but I do enjoy Men In Black, I think that's my favorite.

Then...MK: Haunted Mansion, Train, My Dad's Favorite is Small World!!

Epcot: (NOTE! It's going to be F&W Fest in October, so try and go to Epcot whatever day is not going to be Fri-Sun, it'll be less crowded with locals) then Soarin, Test Track, and def. check out F&W!

HS: Rock N Roller, ToT, and Toy Story Mania I hear is fantastic

AK: Expedition Everest and Festival of the Lion King

Level Contributor
1,414 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

The first time my husband and I went was the first week of October and we were able to do everything at MK, Epcot, and MGM in 3 days (this was before AK and we did not go to Universal-IOA was also not open then). We were there without kids but still did most of the kid rides (think we skipped Dumbo but that was about it).

Anywho, on our last trip (8 years ago so there's definitely new stuff) faves were:

MK: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lightyear. Little cheesy but must sees are Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Tiki Room.

Epcot: Most of what we want to do this trip wasn't there last time and our kids were very little last time so we didn't spend much time there besides touring the countries (which we loved).

MGM: Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Muppet Movie. Also really loved Beauty and the Beast and Fantasmic is not to be missed.

AK: Really enjoyed the Safari and the Bug's Life Movie but the day we were there it got so crowded we got the heck out fairly early after a few shows.

I have a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and if you haven't seen this book, I'd recommend it. Every ride and attraction (including at the Universal parks)is described and rated for different age groups. My girls (11 & 13) and I went thru it and made a list of our must-do's, with the understanding that if we have enough time, we'll do everything else that didn't make the cut (like Dumbo). Depending on how adventurous your 9 year is, the teens may need to make some allowances for some less intense rides, and vice versa, or you may even let the 13 and 14 year olds cut off on their own for small intervals, if you feel comfortable with that.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

Good responses - thanks. Sounds like there are a lot of the same favorites - I guess some of the bigger attractions at each park are obvious big hits, just curious what everyone likes best...helps weed out some stuff too that might sound interesting to read about but first hand experience shows its not that great. Don't have the Unofficial Guide to Disney but I do have another guide to Disney book - don't remember the name but it doesn't really detail all the rides as well. I was also curious about some of the other attractions besides the rides, like the various shows an other events.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

An attraction that is often overlooked now is the Carousel of Progress in Tomorrowland in MK. Very interesting relaxing look at the progress of American family life through the advent of electricity to today. Usually not crowded now, but still interesting.

Definitely GM Test Track and Soarin' at Epcot, and don't forget to go to the Coke shop on the right as you go through the center to taste all the sodas from around the world (free).

The Lights, Camera, Motors show at DHS is very exciting and fun, as well as the Indiana Jones show.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,154 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

If I could do only one or two attractions in each park, here would be my list:

Universal--The Mummy and Men in Black

Islands of Adventure--Spiderman and Dueling Dragons

Magic Kingdom--Space Mountain and Splash Mountain

Epcot--Soarin and Impressions De France

Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride (not a huge fan of Rock & Roller Coaster).

Animal Kingdom--the safari and Expedition Everest

SeaWorld--Clyde & Seymour show and Pets Ahoy (not a big fan of Believe nor Blue Horizon).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

Just got back...6th trip!

Family Favourites

MK-Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion

& Fireworks

HS-Aerosmith Coaster, Tower of Terror, Toy Story &Fantasmic

Epcot-Soaring, Test Track, Spaceship earth & Illuminations

AK-Kali Rapids, Everest, Dinosaur, Safari

Universal IOA- Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Blutos Barges, Dudley Dorights, Spiderman

Universal- Mummy, Men in Black, Terminator

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

MK: Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Mickey's Philharmagic, Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress, and the vastly overlooked Tomorrowland Transit Authority which is a life saver if you come to it after walking around the park all day. A real hidden gem, IMO. Oh, and the Wishes Fireworks and Spectromagic Parade are also must sees.

Epcot: Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Maelstrom, Soarin', Living With The Land, and IllumiNations, the fireworks show.

AK: It's Tough to Be a Bug, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Flights of Wonder, Kali River Rapids, Maharajah Jungle Trek, Primeval Whirl, Dinosaur.

Hollywood Studios: The Great Movie Ride, Lights! Motors! Action!, Toy Story Mania, Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Fantasmic.

Universal: Shrek 4D, Twister (even though no one else seems to like it!), Revenge of the Mummy, Jaws, Men in Black, ET Adventure, Simpsons, and another hidden gem, the Horror Make-up Show.

IoA (if you're going): Hulk, Spider-man, Bilge-Rat Barges, Ripsaw Falls, Jurassic Park, Dueling Dragons, Cat in the Hat.

9. Re: Favorite Rides/Things To Do At......?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 20:16