We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Orlando

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
415 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Orlando

Hi we are hoping to go to Orlando for the first time in Oct 2009 with our 2 boys aged 9 and 13.

We would like to stay at a Disney resort to avoid the hassel of driving.

Is it worth paying the extra to stay in the moderate accomodation?

Is there much difference between Pop Centuray and All Stars?

Can we use the monorail for the above hotels?

Also fancy going to Kennedy Space Centre.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Orlando

I think it is worth the price difference to upgrade to a moderate, especially with a family of four. I would recommend Port Orleans Riverside, staying in the Alligator Bayou section. It's more rustic than the Mansions section; I think the boys would prefer the decor. In October, it's very likely that you can take advantage of a special offer. Sign up to receive the FREE Mousesavers newsletter, which will keep you abreast of all special offers, as they become available.

http://www.mousesavers.com/newsletter.html

Sorry, the monorail only goes to three hotels, all deluxe. But the excellent Disney bus transportation system is available at all the hotels.

pa
Level Contributor
54,497 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Orlando

I would also recomend staying at a Disney Moderate Resort, Port Orleans Riverside would be a great choice, they have rooms that sleep 5, boys my want their own space. A moderate Resort will give you a few more Perks over a Value Resort ( bigger pools with slides, hot tub, table service restaurants, larger grounds to stroll around and feel less crowded )

www.wdwinfo.com is a great site for more details on the Resorts and the Parks and they will list any specials that may be on offer for the Time frame you are interested in. For a history of when Disney has offered discounts, mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.htm

For a Day trip to KSC, check-out www.gatortours.com

October is a nice month to plan for, less crowds and less Heat :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Orlando

another website with fab info for planning Disney trips is

www.allears.net

Florida
Level Contributor
537 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Orlando

Kennedy Space Center would be a wonderful experience for your boys. There are lots of tour co. to choose from. Your resort can recommend a reliable one.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,978 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Orlando

I agree with the others that a moderate Disney resort is definitely worth the money with the kids along. You'll likely be spending time at the the resort a lot, so a moderate has more amenities. I also recommend Port Orleans Riverside, Alligator Bayou section.

As far as the resort and rooms, there's really no difference between Pop Century and the All-Star resorts, except that Pop is newer (opened in 2002) and has exclusive bus service without having to share with other resorts.

As stated, the monorail is only accessible to three deluxe resorts: Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian.

Kennedy Space Center would be a nice day trip, but if you won't have a vehicle, you'll need to go with a tour group like Gatortours.

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
415 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Orlando

Thanks folks, think you have persuaded us to go for the moderate accomodation.

I will have a look at the 2 websites.

Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Orlando

If your here Oct 8th you can see the shuttle Atlantis launch however it is a early morning launch (1:34am) so I'd recommend coming over and possible staying the night.

Definitly upgrade to Moderate, All stars is very small esp with boys that age. Boys their age would also enjoy IOA.

8. Re: First time to Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 20:20