We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you really need a car

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
swansea.wales
Level Contributor
33 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
do you really need a car

i am going to orlando in september for 2 weeks.car hire costs £350 for a good car and insurance.the question is, is it cheaper to use taxis and the itrolley bus for the 2 weeks???? instead.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do you really need a car

Hi Jphndavies68 - Where are you staying? If you are at Disneyworld you will not need a car. They will pick you up at the airport, bring you to your Disney Hotel and transport you all around the resort.

Worksop, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do you really need a car

Hi

It depends where you are staying and what your plans are.

If you are staying on Disney and you wish to go to Universal or Seaworld for example, Mears Transportation will coach you to both venues for about $15-$17 return each. They will pick you up at the front door of the hotel.

The Disney front desk will give you the number.

The cost will increase if you want to go to the malls but would ask for a price first.

Enjoy your holiday.

Joe

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do you really need a car

We worked it out for 1 driver under 25 for a week of our two week holiday (to see if it worked out cheaper to use a car to disney instead of taxi from i-drive area) and it worked out the same in taxi fares to just rent it plus parking plus petrol....its just not practical for us (and its great being chauffeured about!)....

I might be wrong but you're talking about the i-trolley so if you are staying on i-drive it will cost you about $72 for a round trip to disney, can take the i-trolley to seaworld and the i-trolley/taxi (even walkable depending on where on idrive) ...

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do you really need a car

....sorry to universal (thought i'd finished ;) )

coventry
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do you really need a car

hi there, have been loads of time and stayed on international drive and have never needed a car. There are many ways to get to the parks and shops etc by using I-ride or the Lynx bus and many people I know have had a car and left it parked at the hotel for the whole of their holiday. Unless you intend to go to the beaches and explore further afield you definatley don't need a car and it is a lot cheaper jumping on the buses which have a very good service.

Mistysam

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do you really need a car

This has been debated a lot on here, but I will state that I have never hired a car in Orlando and I have managed good holidays using the Lynx, The I Trolley and Taxis. and I have done every one of the parks and malls etc.

So in my opinion you don't "really need" a car

but thats just ME ;-)

Cheers ;-) Wullie

ireland
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do you really need a car

i agree it depends on where you're staying but as you mention the itrolley i assume its international drive?

if so your hotel might provide a shuttle to the parks and the reliabilty of these vary from hotel to hotel. we stayed at the holiday inn a few yrs ago where the shuttle picked up at other hotels before and after us. this made the journey longer and more uncomfortable. the last few times we have stayed at the homewood suites where the disney shuttle is direct and great. the universal shuttle stopped at other hotels again its a pain.

the trolley and lynx buses are quite easy to use and run every 20minutes or so.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do you really need a car

I agree with hotels shuttles - they are sometimes more trouble then they are worth...they are great if they are going to go straight there or have very few hotels to pick up from on the way there but they can take take forever (just as does the lynx IMO). Its also a bit of a bummer when the shuttle leave epcot for example at say 10.30 and you are spending the day at MK - we've ad this before - we've had to leave MK half way through wishes to make sure we got back to epcot in time for 10.30 as that was the last availible shuttle...

For whats its worth, we might be way off track but it might help other, you could always get the shuttle there and a taxi back if the times aren't ideal...

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do you really need a car

I would get a car so that when your ready to leave you can go when you want to we always have a car.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do you really need a car

Most cars in Florida are "good" and are always almost new/nearly new if hired through big car rental company. £250 will get you a very good fully inclusive car (4x4 with dollar, just checked middle 2 weeks in September so shop around)but really depends on how many of you are going. If 2 you only need a compact car which will be fine as Americans don't do mini. If more than 2 then you need to add up how much multiple bus fares etc will cost to really compare. $72 for a taxi to disney means $290 for 4 park visits then add downtown disney, universal, malls etc etc.It soon adds up.

I have always hired a car but have tried not using it. Soon gave up though as waiting at bus stops only to have it drive by because it was full got really tiring. Sitting/standing for 20 mins waiting for it in the Florida sun isn't fun either.

Also agree with previous posters about having to leave early to get shuttle and missing fireworks and just the overall convenience of being able to do what you want when you want makes the car IMO an essential.