We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney resorts to have a look around

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Disney resorts to have a look around

Was wondering which are the best resorts to have a wander round if we have time to kill as we are planning on having a quiet 2 week vacation rather than all the theme parks (as I will be 4 months pregnant!) We also have a 4 year old.

Was thinking about booking Ohana and Boma for dinner so I guess we can have a look round afterwards? Is there actually anything to see?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

Hi Danni26,

Yes, the Polynesian and Animal Kingdom Lodge are lovely resorts to wander in!.

I would also consider the Wilderness Lodge, you can take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge from the Magic Kingdom.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

Also the Grand Floridian is well worth a look round, both inside and out.

Bettystown, Ireland
Level Contributor
823 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

the above are our 3 favourites! all the hotels have really impressive lobbies. akl has an outlook where if you're lucky you can see some animals. we saw giraffes, hyena and wildebeest when we were there. there is also a little playground beside the outlook. you get a fantastic view of wishes fireworks at mk and the electric water pageant from the beaches at the poly and gf if you time it right. the gf is just spectacular and def worth a visit.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

If you just want to visit for a look at the hotels, what about car parking...are you allowed to park at the hotel? what do you say at the gate when you arrive? Do you have to say you have dinner reservations?

Bettystown, Ireland
Level Contributor
823 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

when we have adr's we tell them we have. if we dont we just say we are having a look around. they are happy for people just to come and take a look - they are hoping you might book a return visit and stay there. i read a lot on here about 3 hour parking limits but we were there at easter, one of the busiest times of year. we visited animal kingdom lodge, wilderness lodge, the gf, the poly and the beach club and there was never a parking limit enforced. we had no problem whatsoever entering and parking at the resorts and staying as long as we liked.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,329 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

All the Disney resorts are unique to one another, so take a stroll around as many as you can. Even the value resorts have some really neat icons around the buildings to see.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,341 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

Definitely the AKL and the Grand Floridian are worth a look around. You are permitted to park for 3 hours at the resorts.Disney espcially likes you to look around their stores and spend a little-but you can just wander;of course,you can't take a swim or use guest facilities-but they like you to check out different resorts. You might stay there!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

The Grand Floridian, AKL, and Wilderness Lodge are probably the most interesting to visit and wander around. The Grand Floridian is particularly nice in the late afternoon or early evening, when the piano player and orchestra usually alternate playing in the lobby.

The Epcot resorts are also nice to wander around - you can park at one and walk around the lake to all of them. The area around the beach & pool between the Swan and Dolphin is particularly pretty, particularly with the views back across the lake to Epcot. Each of the hotels - the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk - have interesting archetecture or theming, as well as shops, and the area is very pretty. You could even just take the boat to/from any of the hotels to Epcot or MGM and back (the ride to MGM is rather nice, especially sitting outside in the back.) This area is pretty in the daytime (with good ice cream available at almost every one of the resorts),, but I'd come back again at night, when it's really pretty, with street entertainers on the Boardwalk and a piano player in the Dolphin lobby. (I think the Swan and Dolphin charge for parking, so I would park at one of the others.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

I forgot to mention - at night you can also see some of the Epcot firworks from various places around the lake - particularly the bridges connecting the hotels on both sides.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney resorts to have a look around

I think POR is a nice place to walk around - and you can get the boat ride from DTD to make it even better.