We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito's in Resorts

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Irelnad
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Mosquito's in Resorts

Hi,

I've been to Orlando 5 times (all at ens of Sept) have stayed in hotel's on I-Drive. This year is our first to stay in a house in a resort (not sure which, we don't find out till we get there I think). On my previous trips I never once saw a Mosquito. I was wondering if the resorts spray for mozzies like the hotels? If anyone can recommend a good relativley bug free one (Mam has a HUGE fear of bugs).

Thanks.

reading uk
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

Hi dont worry we have stayed in villas the past eight times and never been bitten once. Went to spain for one week in jully and i became the local buffet. Enojy your hol

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

Considering all the "flood water" that's around the area right now after Fay went through, there may be an huge increase over the next few weeks of mosquitoes in the area.

I would be sure to pick up some repellent either before you go or after you arrive if you plan a lot of pool time or outdoor time at your rental house.

While spraying does occur, the increased numbers of possible pests will be hard to contain with all the water that Florida's dealing with right now.

You may also be hampered by the love bugs at the end of September as well. While they don't bite, sting, or hard, they sure are a nuisence.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
486 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

hi there,i have always been in sept too and have been eaten alive by mossies,never been bitten anywhere else spain etc

so this weekend im heading to boots to stock up on repellants and im going to enjoy myself :)

p.s it didnt spoil the last time i was bitten anyway lol x

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

Kat_Cubs_fan got it right on this one. We've had LOTS of mosquitoes this year, even after the 2004 storms they weren't this bad.

babyfaye77--It was not likely mosquitoes that ate you up in the past but "no-see-ums" which are very common in late summer and fall around here.

This year it's different, the "skitters" are all over the place. Our town has been spraying for them, and it doesn't seem to be helping much. I had one flying around my head as I walked down the street in downtown Orlando last night--that's definitely a first.

liverpool
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

Hi, we have just returned from our 4 week holiday.

Our party of 8 were all bitten by mosquitoes. There seems to be a lot of them around at the moment.

I still have a big scar on my leg from a bite that I got in Fort Lauderdale on 30th July.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

Hi just returned from Florida 6th - 28th August my family and I used deep woods OFF bug repelent and managed not to get one bite until the very last night when we were watching the fireworks at Epcot from the british pub now I dont no if it was because we were surrounded by water or all the rain from the tropical storm Fay you can buy it from wallmart have a great holiday we are really sad to be home

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

Last year we went for the last 2 weeks in Aug and none of us got bitten.

This year we went for the 1st 2 weeks of Aug and got eaten alive!

We used repellent from the UK and it had no effect.

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

Mosquitoes are horrible this year! I'm even getting bit during the day when I'm outside esp. around landscaped areas. Then @ dusk they are bitting through my clothes! I got bit this a.m. getting into my car!

9. Re: Mosquito's in Resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 03:18