We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

Over the last year I have cautioned people driving from Sanford to Universal and WDW about the construction on Interste 4 and State Road 408. I drove through there yesterday for the first time in several months. The construction going from Sanford (westbound) is finished to the point where it will no longer slow you down and should not be considered as a factor in choosing your route.

The construction in the other direction (eastbound)still has some work that needs to be done and I do not see that being finished before November or December.

Having said all that, I still recommend that once you get on Interstate 4 from the Sanford airport that you stay in the second to the left lane for as long as you can until you reach your exit.

CTR

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

If you are headed to Disney World, skip the I-4 to 408 route entirely and take the very driveable 417.

The exit ramp from I-4 to the 408 is still a standstill during rush hour--or at 1:00 am when someone has taken the ramp too fast and wrecked, which we saw the other night.

London
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

I'd like to stick my neck on the line here (probably get it knocked off) ... but anyway, here goes.

To any Brit flying into Sanford, if you've been here loads of times and driven before, getting onto the I-4 and driving to the attractions area is a piece of cake.

However, there are lots of Brits who are coming over for the very first time, and after a 9 hour flight, stressed after getting their luggage, waiting in line at immigration, then onto the car rental place, maybe a couple of fed-up kids in tow, and then ... driving a strange car ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, is no joke. I really think that the 477 Greenaway route would be the easiest to take. Ok, yes I know its a toll road, but we're only talking of a few dollars here, nothing to break the bank. Its a nice, simple, steady road that goes on for a while, giving you time to get used to the new car. Its also not nearly as busy as the I-4 either.

Thats only my opinion of course.

London
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

oops!! I meant the 417.

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

floridas-fab,

I think you are 100% correct.

The Greenway is a very pleasant road, and is quite direct to Disney World.

As a local I still break out in a sweat when I have to drive on I-4 around downtown.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,235 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

Another vote for the SR417. A lovely introduction yo Florida's roads.

I-4 is full of crazies

6. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2008, 00:54
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

We had considered flying into Sanford for our trip but decided to drive instead. However, we did spend a few days in the middle of our trip at Daytona Beach and did drive past the airport on I4. We did not experience any delays due to construction, although there did seem to be a little left over and some signs warning of such.

One word of caution, watch the speed limit between the airport and Orlando. Many cars pulled over, appeared to be a speedtrap set up the Sunday we drove back from Daytona to Orlando.

Watch your speed and drive safely, whichever route you take.

8. Re: Driving from Sanford to the Attractions Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 15:17