We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking everything yourself?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
562 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Booking everything yourself?

Just got back from Orlando Had a great time Stayed for 3 weeks in a villa at Highlands Reserve have found out to hire the Villa is £300 a week . Is it easy to book flights and who do I try ? Also when you hire a car say from Doller do they do the car insurance with it any help would be great please

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Highlands
Highlands
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Glasgow
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking everything yourself?

Try BA. They have their autumn sale on at the moment. Can't help with car hire as we do not hire a car while we are there.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking everything yourself?

Hi cats, it's very easy to do yourself.

Remember the 330 day rule with airlines, if you leave 330 days before you want to go - this is the day that airlines like Virgin Atlantic release their tickets and there can be some really good bargains if you look early, there's a few very cheap tickets and once they are gone, they are gone!

I wish I'd known about this before I booked as I paid top price and then, later learnt about this on here!!!

Make sure you get the top insurance, if it's one of the hire companies that offer like platinum ins. that's the one to go for - read through it all first though, online and make sure it's got all you need and nothing extra that you don't!!

You can always phone them 1st before you book - ask if there's anything else you could be charged for when you arrive, like the insurance.

Best of luck!

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking everything yourself?

I always book myself I can look for days and might find something cheaper travel agents only get 10% discount I can get the same thing when I use my AAA discount I don't trust travel agents because they don't tell you everything the people say to them over the phone they are just trying to make a sale so I do it myself.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking everything yourself?

That is very cheap for the rental of a villa. I feel sorry for the owners if they have to rent their home out for such a low figure. It is great for guests, and I do not mean that people should not book at these prices, but I can not imagine that £300 will cover the running costs of a half decent property. Unless they are fully booked all year, you will probably find they have gone out of business next year which is a shame.

Regards, H.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
562 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking everything yourself?

The Villa we stayed in was fantastic on Highlands reserve It might be a bit more then that now .It was the neighbour who told me and that was from last year .Have not contacted owner yet

Mentioned in this post
Highlands
Highlands
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Kent
Level Contributor
213 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking everything yourself?

Hi, we booked our trip to Fl this year with Travel City Direct and had no problems. We got our car included in the price though paid extra for 7 seater. We also paid the extra for platinum insurance. Have a look at their website.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking everything yourself?

Try both BA and Virgin when they have their sales or try the following website which I have found usefull:

airlinenetwork.com

reading england
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking everything yourself?

thanks prospect 1 will give them a try

nice to see from the same town

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
562 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking everything yourself?

Thanks all for the advice

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking everything yourself?

getting the flight price and schedule is the most important part of DIY.

Once you have got that then the rest is easy.

Houses can be booked through VRBO or VR360. Car hire through the rental company direct or Airline Network ( prices quoted normally incl all insurance needed ).