We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Hi

I went to florida last around 10 years ago and had no problems.

I have since booked first first trip away with my partner for september 20th NEXT year and after reading alot of info (which i should have dont earlier) I am upset and dissapointed to see the weather info.

I have paid £2,000 for this holiday and want to know if its worth the risk or wether its best to arrange it for another time of the year.

I appreciate your responses

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Just risk it! Orlando really doesn't get hit too often. I mean, Fay came over and dumped some rain for a couple days but if you read people's trip reports, they all say what great days they had in the parks because they were all empty! Plus, Hanna shouldn't hit, Ike should follow Hanna. The reason why September is so cheap is because it IS peak hurricane season. If you are concerned, look into getting trip insurance that covers hurricanes. The biggest thing is that your flight may get canceled. But most hurricanes will only ruin one day of your vacation. Nothing too terrible!!!

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Agree with Kat. Hurricanes or tropical storms hit the state of Florida on average a little less than once every 3 years. According to NOAA, a total of 28 storms hit someplace in the state in the past 100 years. The odds are good that nothing will happen to you during one or two weeks in one month on one year, and even if a storm comes by, things usually go back to normal in 24 hours or so.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Went to Disney for our honeymoon September 29th 17 years ago and had perfect weather, outsides of a little rain shower each afternoon.

Visited the Gulf coast 5 years ago the first week of October after several major hurricanes and had no rain, lots of sun, and 85 degree days.

Just got back from a 2 week trip that included tropical storm Fay and still had great temps, a bit of rain, but low crowds and many great memories.

Just go. Crowds will be low, temps will be pleasant, and you will have fun.

Scotland
Level Contributor
185 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

We went to Orlando on 20th September 2005 & the weather was fine. Hardly any rain, no storms & very quiet parks. Of course I didnt know about hurriacane season then either but we are looking to go back in the next year or two & I would still consider going in September/October.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

thanks for the info guys. have really put my mind to rest. I was just not sure wether to risk this holiday as its well earned and its alot of money to me and with all the current acitivty of the storms i wasnt sure wether to change my holiday to somewhere else

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,133 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Just so you won't be misled, tropical storms are not common, but occasionally do occur in September and may affect your holiday in some way.

What's much, much more common is very hot, very humid weather each day in September, with numerous thunderstorms occuring in the afternoon/evening hours on almost a daily basis.

It's just the "nature of the beast" at that time of year to have thunderstorms on a daily basis which come in around 3:00 PM and last a few hours, off and on again. Some days, they are heavier than others, but there always seems to be a few around closeby.

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

we have been twice before and both times end of august and early september

Next year we have booked for 28 august for 2 weeks

Weather can be a little bit wet in the afternoons but that is a good thing as it cools things down a little

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

I wouldn't change the trip, but I'd make sure I had travel insurance that covered hurricanes and evacuations, just in case.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Hi dont bother to change your dates. We were in huricane Charlie its quite scarry at the time but by the next morning we were in universal studios everthing was back to normal. We have just returned after three weeks in Florida again another hurricane was in line for Florida in the end it was a tropical storm Fay no problems again in fact it was quite funny for us going around in our disney ponchos couldn't even have flip flops on walked around the parks bare footed. Go and enjoy yourself have a good one x

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: september 20 2009 - ***need some major advice***

Hi dont bother to change your dates. We were in huricane Charlie its quite scarry at the time but by the next morning we were in universal studios everthing was back to normal. We have just returned after three weeks in Florida again another hurricane was in line for Florida in the end it was a tropical storm Fay no problems again in fact it was quite funny for us going around in our disney ponchos couldn't even have flip flops on walked around the parks bare footed and the lines were only 5 mins long. Go and enjoy yourself have a good one x