We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
aruba
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

Where in orlando is the best place to view this ?

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

We watched it from the back garden of the villa we were in in Kissimmee. As far as I could tell you will get the same view from anywhere in Orlando.

Try and watch the launch on TV then as it clears the tower run outside. A local will point you in the right direction to look.

Its surprising how long it takes before you can see it from Orlando, at least 30 seconds from watching lift off on the TV.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

We also heard the double sonic boom shortly before it landed too.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

You do realize that if this one goes on schedule, it will be launching at about 1:30 AM (in the middle of the night).

If there are no clouds, a nighttime launch will be able to be seen from east Orlando/Kissimmee fairly easily, by looking northeast.

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

No more sonic boom on landing these days--they bring it in over a different trajectory, and it booms over the ocean instead. :(

Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

Launch is at 12:38 am 10/10/08. If it scrubs it will go twenty mins earlier the next night. You'll be able to see it from Orlando if there isn't alot of cloud cover. So hope for clear skys. Look Northeast because when it launches it goes towars the north. You can always here the sonic booms in Cocoa, and feel them too! I am expecting it and it still makes me jump!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

TakesPix. Not true about the sonic booms. We hear them here (about 15 miles east of Bradenton) most times, including the last landing when the shuttle was over Lake Okeechobee at the time according to the tracker.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

I agree with Andytownfan....I live on Manasota Key which is south of Sarasota and I hear the sonic booms plus I can see the night launch fireworks from my lanai. Spectacular!

8. Re: space shuttle launch on october the 10th 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 01:19