We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
72 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic

Hi all

just got an email today off my car hire company (economycarhire.com) please read:

Our supplier (Budget Rentacar) have notified us that the Orlando

International Airport Authority have introduced a Customer Facility Charge,

which will apply to all rentals taking place from 1st October onwards at

Orland International Airport.

The charge will be $2.50 per day plus tax up to a maximum charge of $12.50

plus tax.

This is a non-optional charge for all customers collecting a vehicle from a

desk in the airport. the charge has been enforced by the airport authority

and is out of our control.

Please contact us if you require any further information.

Best regards,

Reservations Team

Economy Car Hire Ltd

Please can anyone tell me if they have had this charge imposed??

Cheers all

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
479 Reviews
from US$54.99*
Kennedy Space Center, Everglades...
190 Reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
131 Reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
17 Reviews
from US$51.99*
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unbelievable!!

Unfortunately, we have a tax, or a surcharge, or a fee of some sort on just about everything here.

Level Contributor
72 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unbelievable!!

its very annoying when you thought you had paid for something in full, just to get charged even more. there should be a law against it!!!

Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unbelievable!!

Usually, there is a "grandfather" clause. If you're booked & paid, then you're ok. It applies to new reservations.....not sure in this case.

We had purchased our airline tickets back in February for travel this past July. We were still allowed 1 carry on & 2 checked bags each. Other travelers who just purchased their tickets had to follow the new rules.

Call & ask them.....maybe you'll be lucky. :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unbelievable!!

Actually, had this charge applied at several US airports over the years. Hadn't looked too closely at my package this year so didn't realise Orlando didn't charge for airport pick up. Infact sure I had this fee applied at Sanford a few years back.

Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,022 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unbelievable!!

this sort of charge is normal these days, but is usually included in the price you have paid. In your case, it was insitutied between booking and pick up which has complicated matters. I'm sure they are adding this fee in, along with the increase in the dollar exchange rate for new bookings. I know I am paying £35 more for a car rental in October this year than the same rental in July.

You have a case against the company you used that they should absorb the cost on the 'grandfather' basis.

Having said that, is another £6.95 going to make that much differnce to your holiday in the scheme of things? I think not. And if it is, you can't really afford the holiday anyway.

Level Contributor
1,861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unbelievable!!

All the on site car hire companies have to charge this now as it is a charge from the airport itself not the car company .Mco is behind a lot of other US airports I believe in charging this and as already said is it really great amount in the scheme of a Florida holiday.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
439 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unbelievable!!

Hey Glen

It's no different in England, just more expensive!!

If it's any concellation I have to pay a 17 pound facility charge at Heathrow when I rent a car, so $12.50 is cheap!!! ha ha

Heathrow and Gatwick have been charging this for years!! I hate having to rent a car, so much nickel and diming!!!

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unbelievable!!

These airport facility charges are quite common and they are in fact imposed and paid to the benefit of the airport authority. Consider renting the car from other site than the airport. Many rental companies will deliver car to your hotel. Of course you have to weight the cost of transfers to and from airport against the possible savings of having the car delivered to your hotel.

Level Contributor
867 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Unbelievable!!

We had the exact same email from usrentacar.co.uk.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Unbelievable!!

This Customer Facility Charge is intended to pay for construction improvements to the current Rental Car structure to allow more rental car companies to be "on-site" instead of "off-site". It will be effective 10/1/08 and all rental car companies have signed on to collect the fee. It should allow for a more seamless transfer from the terminal to your rental car. Hopefully, after this project is financed, they would consider removing the fee. But, in all likelihood, they will use the funds for another project.

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now