We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

I am travelling to WDW in May next year, and staying at The Grand Floridian for 2 weeks.

I will be travelling with my wife and 2 boys aged 5yrs and 7yrs.

Can anyone tell me if I have picked the right hotel, and any good or bad points about it?

Any tips as well about WDW in general will be greatly appreciated, as the sheer size of the place is starting to overwhelm me, and I have no idea what I should and should not bother with.

Many thanks

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

I would stick with Disney for the two weeks but don`t try and see everything. Remember to take rest days as it will be quite hot. For reviews on the hotel and the various restaurants on the property have a look at the following two websites:

wdwinfo.com

allears.net

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

I would ordinarily say, yes! excellent choice. However, since you have 2 boys, I might reconsider (and you have time to do so, so no worries!) In the same price range, I would suggest looking at Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge...neither are on the monorail...or the Polynesian...which is on the monorail. I just think with boys that age, they might enjoy those hotels a bit more than the Grand Floridian. If you had 2 girls, I would be saying something totally different :)

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

Kat, sometimes you and I are sharing the same thoughts!

I, too, would consider Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom with your boys. Wilderness is just a short boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom, as well as Fort Wilderness, where they could have a grand time running and playing. You could go over there some night and enjoy the free outdoor movie, campfire, sing-alongs,etc. The boys will love the boat, and you can still ride the monorail from Magic Kingdom to Epcot.

You've got plenty of time to plan. Make sure you get a good guidebook, order maps, etc, from disneyworld.com, and read this forum every day.

Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

The GF is certainly the top choice at Disney for beauty,elegance,old world charm and luxury in my opinion but I personally would not select it traveling w/two boys since there are just others they would probably enjoy better.I would check out the Animal Kingdom Lodge first,then Beach club and Wilderness Lodge--nice themes for boys or most children for that matter.I just think the theme and elegance of the GF could not really be appreciated and they would get a huge kick out of the savannah view of the animals and that fun decor (AKL),the beach scene and fabulous huge Stormalong Bay fun pool complex of the Beach Club--or the natural,more rustic great outdoors luxury of the Wilderness Lodge.I think they would be so much fun for the boys and still feel luxurious and special for you and your spouse!

I love Disney but two weeks is a little long and it might be fun to include some down time relaxing poolside,enjoying the really fun waterparks etc. and/or mixing it up with an afternoon trip,maybe one for SeaWorld and one for one of the two Universal parks.They are not far away and allow a little change of pace and you need not spend oodles of time there if you don't want to do so.I have spent one full afternoon-early eve at Universal (each park on two different trips) and SeaWorld a separate afternoon-early eve also.Both were fun and a nice change of pace but I do prefer everything Disney.You also have plenty of time to check out Downtown Disney,go at a nice slower pace and maybe do a fireworks cruise.It will be fabulous!!!

I hope to save enough for our first splurge in Aug.'09 to spend 9 days at the Grand Floridian with hubby and our two girly girls ages 7 and 16---we girls will just love the GF's victorian appeal,a long-time dream for us.Our second choice is torn between the Beach Club and Animal K Lodge somewhat leaning towards the BC. The GF is just slightly higher than the BC so we might just choose the GF or else the AKL.You will find you will save money with choosing AKL or WL (instead of GF),the amount will depend on the room category and still have an awesome time,I'm sure.

If any one has any advice for my second choice,please let me know.Love to hear.Hope this helps.Enjoy your fabulous trip!!

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

Thanks Prospect1 for the links. They are really useful.

Kat228 and Ethelmaepotter - certainly food for thought about the Wilderness Lodge. I will look into it this week.

I knew I should have put this out on the forum first before booking the GF.

Do I take it, the GF is more for little princesses than excited prince's then???

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

Definitely.

Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

I think so--Most girls like or love the princess thing but most boys miss the prince concept..Ha Ha... But on the other hand,just about every kid regardless of gender or age loves animals and would likely love viewing the savannah from their room or another public spot.My choice would be AKL first,then BC and then WL.Hope this insight helps and you have a great time!

newcastle upon tyne...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

as this is your first time dont think you will spending much time at the resort you cut down on the resort price and add on the dining plan

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

Lucky you!

Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time at Disney, and staying at The Grand Floridian

With staying at AKL or WL over the GF,you could likely add on the basic Disney dining meal plan with your savings!