We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

it's getting cold....

capecod
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
it's getting cold....

We would like to spend a month on the east coast of florida. And we have a small dog, and a budget. I thought about renting in the Villages (we are grandparent age)but its very late to be looking.

Any suggestions for other areas? we do not need to be on the water but I don't want a high rise. Something casual, maybe even a mobile home.

Please help!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: it's getting cold....

I know it's on the other coast, but my GP's used to go to Ft Myer's all the time and loved it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: it's getting cold....

capecod- I will agree it got cold quick on the coast here too.

I am not sure where you should start but I will say you will probably get a good deal on a last minute trip with the economy. I think several places will be available. Good Luck!!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: it's getting cold....

We're expecting snow flurries tonight :( I'd like to spend a month in Florida!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,975 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: it's getting cold....

It is warmer on the gulf coast. Areas like Rotonda/Englewood, Venice, Ft Myers, Sarasota might suit you.

Pets can be a problem in renting. Some owners allow pets, but most don't. Those that do charge a bit extra per week, and usually a larger security deposit.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: it's getting cold....

CapeCod Visit VRBO ~ Vacation Rental by Owner. We've rented from here before & have never been disappointed. Renters deal directly with the owner.

They have long term rentals & there are also homes/condos that allow pets. There are even mobile homes you can rent.

Take some time to review the rentals ~ after you choose what area of Florida you want to visit.

BTW, I do not have any homes listed with VRBO.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: it's getting cold....

You can check out extended stay hotels.

http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/

BTW this is the orlando forum. I think you may be thinking of staying a little further south. Boca Raton, Palm bach, Miami and the Keys if you want the east coast. I think the gulf side is nicer, anywhere between Tampa and Naples.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: it's getting cold....

Kat,

We are expecting snow too. Can share my beaver hats if you need one ! Or maybe you would prefer my racoon one ?

Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: it's getting cold....

I'd pick an area and contact a Real Estate agent. There are alot of peopel in trouble of losing their homes here in Florida and you could help someone stay afloat by renting from them through the winter. VRBO is also a good place to look but I'd negotiate the price to lower.

Some beach areas don't allow pets. I know that the condo's along the Clearwater area down to Sarasota mostly do not allow pets.

9. Re: it's getting cold....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 06:24