We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats it really like at Christmas?!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Whats it really like at Christmas?!

We have never spent Christmas away from home before and were thinking of spending next year away with a few other members of our family. However a few people we know have been and said its actually been cold in the day, we dont really want to spend all that money for it to be cold, I know you cant predict the weather but what is it usually like? Whats open apart from the Disney parks and would there be anywhere else to eat other than on site at Disney, not that we dont want to eat there just looking at the choices we have. Any other advice or info much appreciated!

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

Hello xvicx,

It´s beautiful and something that Disney lovers should experience at least once.

Disney was our choice for our first Christmas away from home...we loved it!

Yes, it´s crazy crowded so IF it´s your first time you have to be patient...we found that NYE is much much crowded tho

Yes, it will be colder than warmer but better then at Liverpool I guess...not too much swimming time...

There are good Christmas dinner at offsite hotels too.

That´s just our experience!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

We went last year at Christmas time and it was chilly. You can swim in the pools as they are heated, but the hard part is getting out of the pool with a chill in the air. Christmas is a very busy time at the parks, so expect alot of crowds. As far as eating outside the park on Christmas day, there are very few restaurants open that day. We have family there so we never eat out on Christmas day and I can't give any advice on that.

UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

We went Christmas 2006 and it was certainly different to a normal Christmas in the UK. We were up early and at the Magic Kingdom for opening. We ate Christmas Dinner at Unos at the Crossroads ... I had pizza!

We spent NYE at Epcot and rang home at 7pm USA time to wish all our relatives back home in the UK a Happy New Year :) (Sad to admit that I was ready for my bed shortly afterwards and didn't feel the need to stay up until Midnight USA time lol)

We had a lovely time in Orlando in December ... so much so we're heading back on Christmas Eve ... can't wait!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

Weather in December is very hard to predict. The averages say it's comfortable most days, but cold spells do happen and may happen at any point; they can only be predicted about 5 days ahead.

Christmas in Orlando is the #1 busiest time of the year and crowds will be capacity everywhere you go. Getting to theme parks very early in the morning is essential in order to get in, as they do close down for capacity crowds.

Eating is a problem on Xmas day itself, because so many places do not open that day. You'll just need to make reservations ahead of time at a restaurant which you know will be open. All restaurants on Disney property are open, and most of the nicer hotels in the area have restaurants which will also be open.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

I"ve not actually been there on Christmas Day. We were there in early-mid December. I had always wanted to see it all decorated, etc. I loved the small crowd (compared to May/July/Sept when we'd been before).

However, we would not go again that time of year. Our reasons :

1. Everything closes too early. Most parks were closed around 6:00 or 7:00. (Summer hours are open until 10:00/12:00 pm) We did do the MVMCP to stay longer. We felt like we wasted a lot of valuable vacation time in the evenings. We loved the Christmas party. However, we checked out the decorations & fake snow on main street, then moved on. While everyone else was marveling over the snow, we rode the rides with NO LINES. We are from Missouri where it snows A LOT and is very cold. Nothing new for us. I'm glad we went then, but it's not really any different than it is here at home. I was slightly disappointed. (Can't believe I'm saying that about Disney ! It's one of my favorites!)

2. The mornings were brisk. Could see your breath. We were a little chilly with sweatshirts. By noon, is was a sunny 70. The second it got dark, it got cold. If you were in a park that stayed open a little later, you needed coats. I would have appreciated gloves too. I saw people in Disney winter coats - clearly they got cold too and had to buy them. At times we were so cold, that it was all you could think about. (Keep in mind, it was 11 degress F. at home when we left for Florida. Commonly below 0 to mid 30's here all winter. I'm use to cold winters)

The shows & decorations are wonderful. When we went, it was a surprise trip for the kids. Nice addition to the holiday festivities. If you are from an area that does not typically decorate a lot for the holidays, then you'll be very impressed.

As far as meals, a lot of regular off property restaurants will be closed Christmas Day. Your best bet would be to make reservations for a Disney restaurant inside the park where you'll be. Otherwise, you may have to drive around awhile to find one open, then you may have to settle for whatever kind of food they serve. It may not be your ideal Christmas Dinner.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,564 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

I wouldn't say its cold but it defnitely is chilly at Christmas-you will need at least a sweatshirt and we usually wear ski jackets. Not much is open though plenty of places have nice Christmas meals-the Peabody and Gaylord Palms especially. disney is probably totally booked up for dinner that day. It's a pretty time to see the theme parks since the decorations are gorgeous but the crowds are huge.

newcastle upon tyne...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

when your coming from the uk with temperatures at zero you will be in heaven last christmas 07 i was at the pool the weather does change day to day it can get a little cold in the evenings but its still will give you a great buzz

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

Thanks everyone for your input I think we will definitely be going! I know how busy it will be but we've been in all kinds of crowds so that doesn't really bother us and we will be back again so wont miss much! by the looks of it will will have to have dinner in a park or Disney hotel, not a problem as iv found sample menus on all ears Chef Mickey looks great. Is everywhere (restaurants, shops etc) open as normal or Christmas eve and the 26th ?

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

Call Disney NOW and see what you can get!!!

don´t forget to do a resort tour...it´s beautiful!!!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats it really like at Christmas?!

This will be our 4th Christmas visit. We love it! We did not book until late this year because we really didn't think we could afford it. I was feeling depressed because now that we are older and our parents are gone, we don't have grandchildren - yet, Chistmas isn't the same at home.

We love the buzz of Orlando, at Christmas; the parks, the shops (especially the sales which begin on 26th Dec), the different places to eat, and we always go to visit Blue Springs to watch the manatees on the St John's River.

Our daughter, who lives in another European country, has joined us for the last 3 Christmases. Now that she has her own home we didn't expect her to join us this year. It was a pleasant surprise when she said she would miss going and had been looking at flights.

Her boyfriend is happy spending Christmas with his family so she will be able to join us again.

I visit this site daily now - it's my relaxation from quite a stressful job. I plan and enjoy others TAs.

Last year was cold after Christmas but the days of sunshine make up for the cold spells and it is so much warmer than England.

I hope you manage to persuade your family members to join you because it's a great place to be at that time of the year.

Christmas Day can be quiet if you are not at the parks but there are beaches to visit or pools to swim in.

Hope you go.