We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
1 post
Save Topic
broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

Hi all,

First post so be kind!

We are off to Florida in 3 weeks time, it's been booked for ages and we have been so exited for ages.

Now comes the bad news......

Last week my girlfriend fell and broke her arm in 3 places - she is in a plaster cast from her hand, the cast includes her thumb all the way up to her shoulder.

My question is - will she be able to go on the rides at the Theme Parks, mainly the Universal and Island of Adventure Parks , also the Disney Parks. We have both been looking forward to this for soooo long! Will she be stopped for safety reasons as she cant hold on with both hands?

Any help from anyone who has been in the same situation would be most apprieciated.

Many Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

I think she'll be okay on some of the rides but I wouldn't fancy going on Duelling Dragons or Hulk if I couldn't hold on for dear life!

Which arm is in plaster? I guess she could make sure that it's the arm on the inside of the ride so it doesn't fly about randomly ... I suspect an arm in a cast could be a lethal weapon if unchecked!

Hope you enjoy your hols regardless.

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

I'm not sure if they will stop you but they should. The arm is in a cast to immobilize it so that it can heal, the force you get on the rides is huge which could cause more damage.

Usually casts are removed after 4-6 weeks depending on the exray to determined if it has healed. But even after that the arm is suseptable to rebreaking with alot of force.

Hope this helps...

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

I personally wouldn't risk the coasters with high g-turns, such as Hulk and Duelling Dragons. It only takes one sudden jerk, and the 3 weeks of healing prior to your visit, might well be undone, necessitating awkward, and time-consuming visits to Orlando Hospitals, not to mention insurance claims, that would probably be voided.

I know it's your dream Holiday, and you want everything to be perfect, but i'd be cautious for your girlfriends sake.

Besides, you'll have a great excuse to go again!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

I think you should check the situation with your insurance company to avoid any possible future problems. Better safe than facing possible huge medical bills.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

Wouldn't dream of going on any ride with a four week old fracture. The cast can immobilise a fracture to a certain degree but certainly could not take the force on any extreme ride.As a previous poster says, should you do damage and need hospital treatment there is no way any insurance company will cover a pre existing problem.Would even check with the insurance company that with a triple fracture in a cast she is covered to travel.

ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

hi manchestersid 4 years ago my daughter broke her wrist, i had to get a letter from the hospital to say she was allowed to FLY, be careful and have every avenue covered hope all goes well and you have a nice holiday

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
711 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

she might be able to go on rides but be careful of the water rides you can't get the cast wet maybe put a bag over the cast might help but the cast member might not let her on the rollercoasters when i went last month half way in my vacacation i had to go to the hosiptal for tendonitis in my shoulder put in sling i ask about going on rides the doctor told me i wouldn't be able to go on any rides that need two hands for like rollercoaster or splash mountain but i was just doing disney maybe next time

scotland
Level Contributor
73 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

manchestersid - just got back from 2 week trip today and definately saw signs at some parks,sorry can,t remember which ones, saying NO CASTS! She may have to be the one listening to your screams!!!!!

ENJOY anyway,we had a ball.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

manchestersid,

As the other posters have mentioned there are some issues to deal with. You will need to allow extra time for security. Call ahead and see what documentation you will need. I agree with the others who suggested that the real risk is in re-injuring the fractures. You will have to skip some of the wilder rides.

The good news is that the weather is starting to cool and the cast will be less unbearable than it would be in warmer weather.

One more thought, if she can't go on the ride, you probably should skip it as well for the sake of domestic harmony. Do not make a big deal about it. Go to the shows, watch the parades and lounge close to, but not too close to, the pool.

It will work if you are willing to make it work.

CTR

10. Re: broken arm - universal parks, disney parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 21:18