We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

Hi - Wondered if anyone else has had this situation occur to them regarding on-line check-in and a service which I'm not sure even exists.

Here goes.....

We flew Gatwick to Orlando on 17th Oct. We had reserved 7 seats in Row 59. On-line check-in commnced the day before at 11.15 am. So there I am waiting for check-in to open, it opens, I tap in all the details of the 7 travellers and then the websites refuses to let me proceed any further an chucks me out. So it 11.25 am and I go back on-line to check in. It refuses to let me do anything. So immediately I phone up the Call Centre and I'm told by the Indian Call Centre that there is a limited quota on the number of travellers who can log in on-line (Shock 1) but not to 'worry' as I can check-in at the airport instead! Hang on one of the reasons we booked with Virgin was because of the on-line facillity and I don't rember reading/hearing that it was a limited service.

When I asked how after 10 minutes the quota could already be used he just repeated that the quota had already been used up !!!!!!!! When I achallelnged him as to why they advertise an on-line service that didn't exist he said they had quotas because we had to consider those who didn't have a computer (Shock 2), especially with the issues we've had with Virgin/Virgin Atlantic when they won't send out paper copies of anything.

We live around three hours from Gatwick so had to leave even earlier in the morning than we had planned to.

I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this situation?????

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

Yes had this in April on flight home..

Went on about 20 mins after online check in began and was kicked off as it said online check in full.

Was dissapointed but headed down in morning to downtown check in...

Bit silly really..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

bump

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,700 posts
1,726 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

I had a similar problem earlier this year.

No matter how hard we tried we could not check in online. The call centre said the network was down.

Maybe the sensitive regulations regarding travel to the USA could be a factor.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,589 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

I flown VA twice in the last the last 18 months and haven't had this problem, but thanks for the heads up! I think it is VA playing sillybuggeres really. Never ever have this prob on BA. I did check in online 3 hours after it opened this time, and I didn't get exactly the type of seats I wanted, but I did get 5 together for us.

uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

sounds like the idea is to get online EXACTLY 24 hours before the flight, but how do we do that? what clock do we use? and what clock do they use? my watch could be 2 minutes slower than their time! they might rely on the clock in their office and that could be wrong! they might rely on the watch of the bloke in the call centre, but what happens if he pops out for a fag at the crucial time? this is getting very silly! perhaps there is a mole from VA, or someone who works at an airport on tripadvisor who can shed some light on this.

how long before the flight does the airport checkin open?

England
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

likewise about to fly Virgin in 9 days - and want to use on line check in.

The check in is CURRENTLY 3 hours ...

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

Son and girlfriend off to Orlando tommorow, flight leaves 12.55 so all prepared to do online check in today at 12.55! Go through the procedure but find there are only two seats availble on the whole flight and they are at opposite ends of the plane! I rang the number for Website Help, spoke to a man, quite helpful, put me on hold, says he spoke to 'airport staff' has guaranteed they will be sitting together on tommorows flight. Hope he is right, Am worried enough about them driving fours hours to Gatwick without even thinking about them not sitting together on the plane, its the first time they have been to Florida on their own. (its a mother thing) !!!!

For future reference, is it possible to book the seats in advance, (and pay if necessary)?

Carole

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

You can allocate seats in advance and it doesn't cost anything. But they are at liberty to change your assignment at any time right up to when you board (i.e. at the gate).

As for quotas - I can fully understand this. They need to keep the ability to seat family groups together to as great a degree as they can. Allowing all seats to be booked by online checkin would mean much greater numbers of odd scattered empty seats being the only ones left for those without web access and so a far greater probability that such people would have to sit apart. I guess you wouldn't like it if that was you.

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

Hi Scan60

Yes, I completely agree, I wouldnt like to be separated from family, especially if I was travelling with young children, I know my son is an adult,(he's 20) but would just like them to be seated near to each other.

Carole

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Limited Quotas Only for Virgin Atlantic Online Check-in

People don't half panic about seat allocations!

They keep back a good selection of seats for actual checkin, some of the best actually - as long as people aren't at the back of the check in queue, they won't get split up.

BTW, the WORST thing you can do is check in online with seats you're not happy with - check in staff do not like to change seats if you're already checked in.

Get to check in nice and early and bag seats in the little front economy cabin, there are a few rows after P.E. that are blocked out until actual check in opens.

There are rows of 2 seats at the back that are blocked too - great seats for a couple.