We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fingerprinting at U.S airports.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
824 posts
1 review
Save Topic
fingerprinting at U.S airports.

I have noticed this on the Virgin passenger information, does anyone have further information.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is upgrading from collecting 2 to collecting 10 fingerprints from international visitors when they enter the United States. This change enhances security and facilitates legitimate travel by more accurately and efficiently establishing and verifying visitors’ identities.

Virgin say this scheme should be coming into effect from the end 0f 2008, but they do not have any up dates.So some time in the future, it will take a little longer to get through customs.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

I've been through immigration in Chicago 3 times since they brought it in there. It's no big deal. Adds maybe 10 seconds onto the time to go through the formalities.

LOL - I'd worry more about whether everyone ahead of me in the queue has filled in their I-94W and customs forms properly. That causes bigger hold ups.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

I assume that this applies to children as well?

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

We came into US on Sunday through Newark and you do now have to provide all 10 fingerprints. It is no big deal but does take longer especially if you have groups going through at the same time.

I am not sure what the minimum age is for children, we have a 12 month old and she wasn't fingerprinted.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

OK. My 2 yr old would probably freak at having to do it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

My husband did it in Tampa in October, no problem took only a few seconds, less than a min. ESTA too, no probs.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
UK
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

No probs. I did it in both NY and MCO in the last month on 2 business trips..a couple of minutes.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

Anything that improves security and thereby safety can only be good.IMO

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
824 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

Hi Prospect1

I am right there with you on security, I have no problem with the printing. 2 fingers or 10 as long as it for everyones safety and security, then it can only be for the good.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

My BF has only half an index finger on his right hand. (got it chopped off by a Machete when you used to be a nightclub Bouncer )

It starts at MCO.....places his stump on the scanner.

And then they tell him to use his middle finger, depending on where he is you can imaging what he does next!!!

Every park he enters he has to use the stump joke on the CM.

Gets really boring after 2 weeks!!!!

Caz Essex X

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fingerprinting at U.S airports.

Children do not get fingerprinted or photographed!! not sure the age that this applies to but its about 14/16yrs.

Delays at immigration are caused by incorrectly filled in forms, not fingerprinting.