We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few questions

Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just a few questions

Hi

Myself and my fiance are going to Orlando in January, we would like to go to Gatorland for the day, and I understand that it abit away from where we are staying on International Drive, we will probably not rent a car.

Could anyone give me some advice on how to get to Gatorland, best way to get there and a return.

Also we will be arrive in Orlando about 5.30-6 in the evening. What would be the best thing for us to do when you arrive at our hotel. What can we do around that time, so our whole day is not wasted. I am sure when we arrive that our tummy's will be very hungry after a 9 hour flight. Could anyone recommend a place to eat, that is close to the hotel. We may take a trip around on the I-RIDE trolley to see what we are close to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ems

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
824 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a few questions

Hi Emer26

You ask what resturants are near your hotel, which hotel are you staying in?

You will get lots of info if people know which hotel, you are staying in.As for gatorland I think you have to get a lynx bus to Florida Mall and then transfer to the number 4 lynx bus.

You will get plenty of answers on the resturants on this forum, and I sure Scan60 will give you all the info on the lynx bus service.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,700 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a few questions

Along with the public LYNX busses, I don't believe a taxi ride from I-Drive would cost a huge amount of money to Gatorland either.

As stated above, we do need to know either the hotel's name or address along I-Drive to give you suggestions for things around it, however.

Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a few questions

Hi

Thank you for your replies!

We are staying in the Doubletree Universal Hotel on I Drive.

Is there a more direct way to get to Gatorland, rather than using 2 modes of transportation.

I understand having looked at Tour America website, that there is a shuttle buses leaving from I-Drive to Gatorland, at pick-up spots on I-Drive.

Could anyone recommend which of these spots are closet to the hotel. Also if we were to get a taxi to Gatorland return, how much would it be.

Also any other information would be greatly appreciated, in regards to restaurants, and things to see as we arrive at our hotel.

This is my first visit to Orlando, and any information, that would help my trip be a little easier.

Thanx

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,124 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a few questions

I'll answer your specific questions first, and then give you a longer text about how to get about at minimal COST.

Gatorland is two bus rides away as nother member has already stated - bus 42 (every 30 minutes) to the Florida Mall, transfer to bus 4 (southbound) (also every 30 minutes) to Gatorland entrance.

There are lots and lots of places to eat along I-Drive with all sorts of styles and budgets - plenty in easy walking distance but more a bus ride away. Can't make any specific recommendations without knowing your preferences.

Anyway - here is the "how to get about" stuff

-------------------------

There are two regular bus services; LYNX (the city bus service) and I-Ride (an independent limited service aimed at tourists, but which strangely doesn't actually go to the major tourist destinations).

Your best choice for a non-driving option is to use LYNX buses. These have a much, much more comprehensive coverage than the I-Ride trolley. They also pretty much duplicate the I-Ride route so you don't really need tickets for both. If you are going to be using buses with any frequency to get to and from the attractions, only LYNX will take you.

From anywhere on I-Drive between Premium Outlets and Prime Outlets to:

- Universal - 8 or 42 to a stop two lights North/East of WetNWild (look out for the Sheraton Hotel - distinctive cylindrical building with a wire-frame globe on top); cross the street if necessary and take 37 going West/South every 30 minutes.

- Sea World, Aquatica and Discovery Cove - bus 8 (frequent) from a stop on I-Drive.

- Disney Parks (option 1) - bus 8 to any one of three or four stops near Sea World, then transfer to bus 50 express to Disney's Transportation & Ticket Center. Use Disney's free bus/boat/monorail to the parks.

- Disney Parks (option 2) - bus 8 or 42 to Canadian Court (adjacent to the southern end of the Convention Center) and then take bus 111 (hourly) to the Transportation & Ticket Center. Use Disney's free bus/boat/monorail to the parks.

(I mention both of these mainly for coming back; you can get on 50 (destination DownTown Orlando) or 111 (destination Airport) - whichever comes first.)

- DownTown Disney - buses 50 and 111 both call there en route to the transportation & ticket center.

- Busch Gardens - you'll need the Busch Gardens shuttle express which picks up at three places in the area - at "Gooding's Plaza" (this is in the parking lot adjacent to Ripley's Believe It Or Not and Charley's Steakhouse, half a block to the south of Sand Lake Rd; I understand that Goodings has closed so the name may change at some point); at Premium Outlets, and at Sea World. (There may be other points, too). This is a once-per-day scheduled service, but you need to book in advance by phone to be sure of getting a seat. The price is very low and it's free for holders of certain multi-park admission tickets (e.g. the type of Orlando FlexTicket which includes Busch). This service is not part of LYNX, but you can, of course, use LYNX to get to the pickup point if necessary. More details and online bookings here https:/…BuschGardens.asp

You can also go by LYNX to

- Premium Outlets - 8 or 42 south

- Prime Outlets - 8 or 42 north

- Florida Mall - 42 north from anywhere on I-Drive **or** 111 from Canadian Court interchange (runs once per hour but may be a lot quicker than the 42).

- Orlando International Airport - 42 north from anywhere on I-Drive **or** 111 from Canadian Court interchange (runs once per hour but may be a lot quicker than the 42).

- Millenia Mall - 8 or 42 north to Prime then 24 (hourly) to Milennia. Note the last 24 going back towards I-Drive from Millenia is at 6.18pm Mon-Sat and 5.48pm Sun. If you are later than this, you'll need to use a cab. To minimise cost, you could take a cab back to Prime and then go the rest of the way by bus.

- US192 in Kissimmee (e.g. for Old Town) - travel to Disney's Transportation & Ticket Center using either method above and then get LYNX 56 every 30 minutes to US192.

etc............

Obviously, if you are starting out close to a transfer point (e.g. if you are at the Sheraton Studio City, then you are already close to the 37 stop) you'd walk rather than taking the first bus detailed above.

Download timetables for all these and other LYNX services at

www.golynx.com

LYNX costs:

$2 ($1.75 until Jan 2009) each person one-way regardless of distance. Transferring buses (eg from 8 to 50 at Sea World for Disney) is at no extra cost so long as you ask for a transfer ticket when you board and pay.

or

$4 for an all-day ticket (if you are going to make >2 one-way trips in a day)

^^^^^ buy from the driver, no change given

or, ** for best value and convenience **

$16 for a week's unlimited use ($14 until Jan 2009). Buy in advance from the Official Visitor Center 1/2 a block north of Bahama Breeze on I-Drive, set at the back of a parking lot and indicated by an orange, yellow and black "i" sign. I understand, also, that you can pre-purcase passes on the website and they will mail to the UK. In any case, passes are validated on the bus the first time of use and the period of validity starts then.

All the services I have mentioned above have a frequency of every 30 minutes or better except where stated. Most also run well into the evening. The last 50 out of Disney, for example, is at midnight. But do study the schedules for precise timings to minimise waiting and note that the number 8 bus stops running earlier in the evening on Sundays and you'd also miss the last 8 if you leave Disney later than 11 on a Saturday. 8's are also less frequent later on than in the daytime. So take care if you are returning from Disney late on, esp. on a Sunday.

Once you have LYNX passes, you won't also need I-Ride passes. On the odd occasion that you do feel the need to ride the trolley, I suggest you just pay cash fare.

I would also emphasise that LYNX bus drivers are helpful, patient and co-operative for the most part and will answer questions and give guidance. You will quickly get the hang of it.

---------------------------------------

And just to emphasise...........

LYNX stops in pretty much all the same places as the I-Ride.

LYNX services on I-Drive run until the small hours of the morning (earlier on Sundays). They do get less frequent later on, so do take copies of the schedules with you.

You will not need I-Ride tickets as well as LYNX tickets. If you've bought LYNX passes as I recommend you do, you can use LYNX for any trips you would otherwise use the I-Ride main line for.

5. Re: Just a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 21:24