We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book airfare?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Topic
When to book airfare?

When is it recommended to book airfare? We are headed there at the end of April. I am driving but 2 other families are flying. Personally I would have already booked but they are dragging their feet. Please someone let me know if I am anal or are they pushing it with not getting the fights they need. Thanks

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book airfare?

21 - 90 days out

I seem to find the lowest prices in that range

Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book airfare?

Just before christmas netflights had cheap scheduled fares. They have gone up a bit in the last few days but still worth a look.

Don't leave it too long though.

You could try looking at the airline's own websites too. You can see how many seats have been booked and how many are vacant - this also helps to find the right time to book. If the plane is nearly empty you have more chance of getting a cheaper fare.

Hope this helps

Gismo

Indiana
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When to book airfare?

Thanks for the reply! I was looking at AirTran but on the travel days only 2 flights were non-stop. We are not big flying family, so I do not think they have even looked a site yet. I was also concerned because they want to fly togther which is 8 seats. I know they do not want to spend alot either, looks like they will get what they can.

New York
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book airfare?

I'm already looking for air for the summer. What I did, was call Jet Blue and ask them their policy if the air fare goes down in price between now and the summer-so if you see a good deal, I would grab it, but also inquire if by chance it goes down by the time you travel, if you would get a credit. (jet blue gives points)

Indiana
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book airfare?

This may sound crazy but is Jet Blue an airline or a company that books flights? I am only familiar with Air Tran because they are cheap and have alot of trips to Orlando in a day. They flew us on my sons Make A Wish trip, not too crazy about them. They always have loooong lines and seem busy, maybe too busy.

New York
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When to book airfare?

Hi-Yes, JetBlue is an airline-similiar to Air Tran, but better! Go to Jetblue.com- that will show what cities they fly to-they have Direct Tv at every seat, which really helps pass the time. If you book with them over the phone, I beleive they charge a booking fee-so definetely book on line-very easy site to navigate, you can even choose your seats on line. Any more questions, let me know! I live in NY and we fly out of a small airport, they now only have 1 flight a day going to Orlando, so we booked early in case that 1 plane fills up!

Central FL
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: When to book airfare?

If you are booking for a large group book early. Check out www.kayak.com for low airfare

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to book airfare?

You really have to keep looking and get an idea of prices and even then you might not get the best rate. I have found that some airline prices have jumped down since Christmas. Ask others in your area what they think is a good price to Orlando. Some areas Southwest is the cheapest, some it is Jetblue, some Airtan, some American Airlines, etc.

I agree with Partypa, I find that 21 to 90 days. I booked a bit less then 90 days and thought I got a good price but then out of no where the prices went down even more this week. Some airlines will refund if a rate lowers.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to book airfare?

One thing on Jetblue, if you book non refundable fare it is a 100.00 change fee. So the fare would have to be a lot lower to get any credit.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to book airfare?

We usually book for Orlando about two to three weeks in advance. We used to wait until a week ahead but we only fly non stop and a lot of them have been cut out by the airlines. For a holiday,maybe 4 weeks in advance-but there is a lot of airlines here and three airports and we are loyal to none of them so we always have a choice