We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

Family friends, who will be traveling to WDW this weekend, say they have heard that a virus is going around at the resorts. They've gone so far as to request Rx's from their doctors for Phenergan to take on their trip.

While I applaud their effort to "be prepared", I'm wondering if this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a rumor that may or may not be credible.

I have searched the net, and other than a December 11, 2008 report on the disboards about a family who contracted the Norwalk Virus (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.) at the Beach Club Resort, I do not see anything to confirm an outbreak at the resorts, though the cruises do seem to have more than their fair share of guests with the virus.

We leave in 24 days for our trip and with 3 small children of my own and 2 young nephews (one is an infant), I'm wondering if my family should be worried.

Anyone out there who have been to WDW recently and contracted the virus? Any locals who've heard something through the grapevine? Castmembers who've witnessed an outbreak firsthand?

Any information, advice, or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

We were there last of November/first of December; didn't experience any illness and heard nothing of anyone else experiencing any. There are quite a few forum members who have been more recently, some even who are just now returning. Maybe they'll know something.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

In reality, given the number of people there, odds are that there are at least 5-10 cases per day every single day of the year, but most are probably written off as 'stomach flu' or 'something I ate'.

The same would be true of almost any place where large numbers of people gather.

Simply washing your hands (antibacterial gel does NOT work well against Norwalk) frequently, especially before eating, will reduce any chances of contagion. And again common sense, if you see someone handle food directly without gloves, take different food.

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

If you go onto the DIS boards, they have a rumour section where you could see if anyone has mentioned this. If not, you could always start a new post....

That site is run and frequented by Disney fanatics (I mean that in a nice way!) and is also frequented by cast members, so you will more than likely get your answer there.

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

Forgot to say.

In the UK it is called the Norovirus, but essentially it's the same. There has been a quite a bit of it in the UK for the last month, although not quite epidemic levels.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

There has been nothing in the local news about this at all... and our local news is slimy, they jump on anything.

I watch news every morning, and read the online version every day... have heard nothing.

I'd say this is just a rumor.

To put it in perspective... someone died after riding tower of terror once... does that mean you won't go on it?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

In the UK a simple way to avoid catching Norwalk is to use hand sanitising gel regularly and especially before you eat.

uk
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

I'd worry more about being on the plane and catching a bug than from the resorts. Also many bugs are picked up from pools. We got ill (very ill on one trip to disney and I am sure it was from a very hot pool). As I have a diabetic daughter, and a sickness bug is a nightmare for us to cope with, I now take pool stips with me and if after diping not enough chemical in water I buy and add more , and leave a note for managment company so they do not then add again. This is most important if you have heated the pool. The time we got ill the pool was the same temp as my hot tub in scotland, we were sitting in it over xmas with airtemps of near zero!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

I searched Norwalk virus Disney and there was a few claims at Disney for December and early January. They said it was more rampant at, the Beach Club or Yacht Club (Don't quote me as I can't remember exactly). They said in a few weeks it should have run its course and be mostly over.

I looked last night after reading this post and now I can't remember the websites I found it on. I was looking mostly into the cruise because my brothers family is going in three weeks.

I will look again and if I find them I will post them here.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

Here are the websites that I found the information at. There has been no offical confirmation but people are advised to follow simple precautions:

- Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.

- Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.

- Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.

- Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).

disunplugged.com/2008/…

wdwinfo.com/news/Theme_Parks_Attractions/Is_…

Hope this helps. Like another said, you can't live your life trying to avoid it. Enjoy your vacation and do your best to follow the above precautions and hopefully, you'll be okay.

Have fun and stay healthy!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norwalk Virus at WDW? Rumor?

For the person who suggest hand sanitizing gel, that does NOT protect against Norwalk almost at all. Norwalk is a non-lipid virus and alcohol and related based compounds do relatively little.

Soap and hot water = best bet.